[San Francisco] First visit! 2 days! What to eat?

Fair enough, but thinking that is with a small “c”.

1 Like

I love their Caesar salad; I forget how many cases of romaine they go through in a day.

1 Like

Went there with Isaan friend. She was surprised that all of kitchen staff now appeared to be white millenials, except for one woman. (This was late 2021, I think). Wait staff were unable to answer questions about food or to be able to ask kitchen staff. We asked for spicy and got super-mild. Food was bland and totally unlike the bold sort of Isaan flavors she said were present on earlier visits.

Perhaps it improved since then.

2 Likes

Dinner at Perbacco!

Finally tried the vitello tonnato. I’m glad I did!

Octopus, veal tongue, and potato . Nicely done but would have liked more octopus.

Langerolli stuffed short ribs …there’s a lot of short ribs on the menu. Pasta had nice texture. Nice ratio of pasta to the filling.

Mushroom risotto.

Also got the brussel sprouts. Delicious, but forgot to take a picture.

All good!

13 Likes

Best weather ever!

9 Likes

Wow a few days in SF and nearly 90 responses. Good luck with that lol.

2 Likes

You’re right prob best to make it another trip. But Carmel/Pacific Grove/Monterrey are a wonderful way to spend a week. Used to be a regular long weekend for us when we lived in SoCal. Not for the food though, I might add.

No plans, no rushing around, and eating what and when I want!

“Deconstructed Reuben” for later.

)

5 Likes

The Palace.

6 Likes

IPPUDO Bun

KARAKA Spicy

The original “Tonkotsu” (pork) broth with an added kick, thin noodles with Ippudo’s special blend of hot spices, topped with pork belly chashu, cabbage, sesame kikurage mushrooms

Please forgive me @damiano , for enjoying myself so much on your thread!

I’m done. Except for Ferry Plaza.

6 Likes

Well your one day away . I always wanted to try the porchetta sandwich from Roli Roti rotisserie. Sat 9 - 2 . At the ferry building.

1 Like

Yes!

Well I’ve been many times on Saturday, stared longingly at the porchetta, and maybe even tried it once or twice. I do like porchetta.

I love the Cap’n Mike’s smoked black cod I’ve bought at the Saturday market, but alas, this time I’ll be there on a Friday.

8 Likes

I used to love going to the ferry building on Saturday driving from Santa Cruz up hwy 1 into the city . The hustle and bustle moving about the crowd looking for something to catch my eye .
I’m pretty sure it’s all changed from 5 years ago. Golden gate meat company is permanently closed . remember buying foie gras from them .

2 Likes

It’s been a fun few days in the “middle of it”, but I can’t help but wonder if visiting is better than 24/7/365. I love visiting.

I met a lady here, at my sister’s conference, who lives here, on or near Russian Hill. With a car!

3 Likes

LOL! Our first apartment in SF was on Russian Hill. With a car. I worked in town and took the cable car to work. Romantic but its technical mishaps made me late for work at least once a week. Husband used a car to get to work and it took him half an hour at night to find a parking place. 50 years ago!

Still live in town but in a less congested area. Love it here!

5 Likes

As with every large city anywhere, there are aspects which make it nice to live and some aspects which are less favorable but yes, living here is much better than just visiting - you are missing a lot.

3 Likes

Honestly, unless you get to the Ferry Building early (before 10?) for farmers market, it will be a full freaking zoo. Good produce but the crowds can be overwhelming and the prices high. A walk through would be nice just to see…but with 2 days, not sure I’d bother. The Ferry Building without the FM is good too, lots to see and eat…but weekend are packed either way.

3 Likes

Oh well. Still couldn’t afford it. I always tell myself living 45 minutes away costs less, so I can afford to visit!

Same was true when I lived in Queens. Maybe not anymore!

2 Likes

Hear, hear! I miss living in a city, but I’m not actually taken with the idea of living in San Francisco, even if it was more affordable and my wife didn’t have to schlep down to Santa Cruz for work. I work in SF though, so I “visit” at least 3x/week and can always take BART in when I want.

1 Like

I lived in Novato (Marin county, north of San Rafael) from early 94 through 2010 or so. SF was always a place that was much better to visit than to live in. My brother lived in the inner Richmond for a couple of years (back when a non-tech-squillionaire could do that) and even with all the plusses of the city, it was always just SO much inconvenience.

I compare that to 5 years of living/working in the Glendale/Burbank area or 2 years living in Vancouver BC. In the first case, cars are a built in assumption and part of the equation. There’s places to put them and ways to do it. In the latter, Vancouver has one of the most reasonable and well-executed transit systems I’ve ever seen. It is entirely possible to live in the city and NEVER need a car.

Mind you, none of those places is anything remotely like affordable anymore.