Same Product & Brand, Different Quality?

In the UK, Hellman’s says that its eggs are all from free range birds. It’s why I’ve started buying the product, rather than my supermarket’s cheaper (and otherwise very acceptable) own brand mayo. Can’t say I notice a difference in flavour but I eat it with a clearer conscience.

2 Likes

The Nutella made in the Canadian Ferrero Rocher plant isn’t as tasty as Italian and German Nutella. I suspect that it’s the sugar being used that causes the problem. It’s still pretty good, but the European one tastes better.

This has to do with the available ingredients.

The Fanta soda that is sold in Europe is a completely different product than the Fanta bottled in Canada. Luckily, it’s possible to buy the imported Fanta at European markets in Canada.

I haven’t found products in countries with lower wages/cost of living in Europe to have lesser products. The branded products from Greece and Poland taste as good as the same brands from Germany and Italy to me.

It’s North American versions vs British and Continental European versions where I see a difference in taste.

I prefer European Knorr products from Germany, Switzerland and Poland to Canadian Knorr products.

I used to take a colleague in Dallas a stash of Kit Kat bars as the Canadian bars are less sweet than the American.

1 Like

Milk Duds are not the same as Whoppers/Malteasers–they have a (hard-to-chew) caramel center rather than a malt one. I personally think of both as “movie candy”; ie, candy you only get at the movies (like Raisinets, Goobers, and Snow Caps).

2 Likes

Whoppers are the most common chocolate malt ball available in Canada. Maltesers are relatively rare, mostly sold at British import shops or candy shops.

I don’t think Milk Duds involve malt at all, but it’s been a while.

1 Like

they definitely do not.

basically chocolate-coated caramel

1 Like

That will yank your teeth right out of your jaw.

1 Like

That’s why eat candies like Milk Duds and Now & Later with my tongue and the roof of my mouth.

They never touch my teeth.

1 Like

Wise. I just steer clear altogether.

I buy them at Shoppers Drug Mart.

1 Like

That, and gummy candy, have been my dentists’ best friend. Ka -Ching.

1 Like

This is actually not correct. The Coca Cola Company produces the syrups for Coke and owns the brand. Independent companies throughout the US and world bottle the beverage. The companies were separated decades ago as part of financial engineering to separate the higher margin business from the capital intensive part

If CH still existed, I would link to my old taste test comparison of European versus American Nutella. Taste texture even color was slightly different.

Different formulas for different markets. Heinz does the same with its ketchup.

2 Likes