Restaurants you dearly miss (LA)

you’d think this would be a lay-up for most delis but it just isn’t. Instead u can see the yellow boullion froth on top of most bowls and nowhere near the amount of chicken - solid or liquid! I don’t know a good bowl of matzoball soup in the whole city that’s not homemade now. Hope springs eternal - the sign is still there and the location seems vacant.

yes

I know the story has been broken down before, but I can’t seem to find it. Would you have a pointer to one? (or care to do one yourself? I can’t think of anymore more qualified to do so.)

Long story short, the original owner of Dean Sin World (Mrs. Lu) decamped and opened up Mama’s Lu.

My understanding is that Sawtelle Tempura House was taken over by the chef from Sawtelle Kitchen. Very diff menu, I assume, but I have very much liked the food (pork katsu don) I’ve gotten from Tempura House.

I want to like Tasty Noodle more than I do, but the food is just SO heavy. I’d like it more if I had a family of 4+ to feed. :slight_smile:

Belle Vie. That place was a gem.

I also miss All India Cafe in West LA (esp in its 2nd [or 3rd?] iteration), which was my go-to for take-out Indian.

I tried Tempura House with the new owners a couple of times. It’s okay, but not better than okay to my taste.

It doesn’t have any of the dishes I liked at Sawtelle Kitchen: tofu salad, salmon with wasabi/cream sauce, pasta with ume plum sauce, mushroom salad, pasta with spicy pollack roe and squid.

As it’s exclusively take out the food is served in single use plastic which I attempt to avoid.

I’m surprised to hear Tasty Noodle House’s food described this way. Our usual order includes: fish and cilantro dumplings, spicy cucumber salad, preserved vegetables with pea pod and tofu skin and sauteed snake gourd. My husband always gets one of their slushes; I like the passion fruit and the lychee slushes; the others are too sweet to my taste. None of these dishes are heavy to my taste.

We bring our own silicone straws and reusable take out containers. The restaurant staff has complimented us on this.

Not missed, but I wish I were old enough to to try these restaurants when they were around:

Bastide
Urasawa
Citrus