Restaurants you dearly miss [Boston, New England]

As do I regret not trying it. I have some memory that may not be accurate that Floating Rock moved ot Central Square in Cambridge for a brief time, and may have changed the concept a bit, and it closed son afterward.

Truth, but dumbed down flavors from the original. No comparison!

1 Like

For me, I go way way back. I always miss the original Red Fez in the South End of Boston. Best Lebanese food you could find. And in another vein, there’s a place that I actually liked a lot, and I think could be re-done with great success still today: The Magic Pan - and especially their warm bacon-dressing spinach salad. Not super fine dining but good, nonetheless. Also liked a lot the basement location of Soup 'N Salad in Cambridge. (At least I think that was the name.) Great soups. Mounds of homemade bread. Soul satisfying. Finally and definitively at Fresh Pond: Osaka. Best sushi. Fun sushi bar.

4 Likes

The Magic Pan was unique and a delightful light-filled room.

1 Like

Tacos El Charro, JP
Salamander, Boston
Cafe Budapest, Boston
Rauxa, Union Square

3 Likes

More: Biryani Park-Malden, & Moroccan Hospitality-Somerville

2 Likes

Another spot I miss is Bombay Club, which sat above the Staples in Harvard Square. They had an expansive lunch buffet which I have very fond memories of and it was all very tasty

4 Likes

Bombay Club was quite decent, but Tamarind Bay (as much below ground and dark and gloomy as Bombay Club was above ground and light and cheery) had on average much better food. It (TB) was one of the very few places that offered unusual dishes, not the usual ocean of tikka masala. I miss them both (Maharajah which took over the old Bombay Club space has had its occasional food moments, but they’ve been few, although the space is still terrific), but TB more so.

While on this sub-topic, I also miss Cafe of India (where Toscano now is) solely because they were one of the few places that offered Indian breakfasts with spicy scrambled eggs and the like.

3 Likes

Chiming in for Bombay Club as well - I would go there while doing my graduate studies over at Lesley.

Wasn’t there also a two floor Korean place around that time in the same-ish neck of the woods (also in the same sort of vicinity a building over from the old House of Blues - I remember a watch store in the same building maybe?). I can’t remember the name, but I used to like to get sushi there and it was one of the first places I ever experienced banchan. Eventually it folded into the downstairs of the same building in a room with no windows… I don’t think it is still there anymore…

4 Likes

Shilla?

1 Like

Looking through Yelp, the pictures looks right, although in my memory I don’t remember any orange banquet seating when they moved to the basement (to be fair, I was going there around 1997-98, so, who knows). One of the Yelpers noted that it used to be near Grendel’s (before the remodel) and that sounds right. Thanks!

Yes, Shilla was at second floor behind Grendel’s, also had a little karaoke room upstairs from dining area. Moved to the Galleria basement, later became Bonchon, I think.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Shilla! First date with my now husband.

2 Likes

I need a fact checker. middlesex is still very much alive. I only know because of a Globe article today. Regrets to owner Chris, who I met in passing eons ago.

Caruso’s restaurant in Melrose. The space still stands empty. I was raised on ZaZa pizza and escarole pie. Anyone else remember Don Michel Caruso and what a character he was?

Also RIP: Haveli’s in Inman Sq. Cambridge. Beautiful space and great Indian food. Loved going there for my birthday.

And for the old folks who might remember… Country Life Vegan restaurant on Milk St in Boston!! So much love, so many great memories. I grew up there too.

6 Likes

Welcome @EmilyV! Hope we’ll see more of you on the Greater Boston board.

The only one I remember is Haveli - that was a nice little place.

Hi Taralli

I recall a Chowmeet at Biriyani Park (it had an interesting Sri Lankan menu, including hoppers). RE Floating Rock, Thmor Da is still there and while their Tiger Tears aren’t as good as Floating Rock, they have an excellent pickled curry fish. Moroccan Hospitality moved but yes no gone. Two Moroccan sisters from Fez originally in a small pizzeria. They had the best Bstilla.

3 Likes

Hi “D”, Galangatron & I fondly remember that BP chowdown as well as the one at Thai North with you. BP’s menu was extensive, & we always ordered at least one goat dish, besides hoppers: https://www.delivery.com/cities/malden/categories/restaurant/s-s-biryani-park?orderTime=ASAP&orderType=delivery&address=

2 Likes

One day, years ago, we were just about to head into Cafe of India for lunch when someone from the Cambridge Health Department came up to us and suggested we find someplace else to eat. They were shutting it down for health code violations! Sigh…

1 Like