Restaurants you dearly miss [Boston, New England]

Oh yes Ferdinand’s. And Blue Parrot next door. There was a pub downstairs where they served a couple of dishes from the upstairs menu - was it connected with Blue Parrot or Ferdinand’s? - at reduced price, called Ha’ Penny I think.

Icarus had a beautiful room with antique arts and crafts furniture.

A postdoc on a Carlsberg Fellowship at a time the Danish Kroner was particularly strong introduced me to Harvest. Became a habit once I started earning a paycheck.

Chez Henri served a wonderful Cubano at the bar.

29 Newbury was a tough table to score; I remember once walking in during a snow storm.

Anyone remember the cafe at Emporio Armani?

4 Likes

I live in Canada, but every time I travelled to Boston on business I went to Hammersley’s Bistro. I had a variety of different stuff there, all extremely well done. There was a dish of raw oysters with a mignonette that contained finely-diced apples that was superb.

I have no idea if it’s still there, but there was a restaurant called “Truc” across from Hammersley’s that was also good.

4 Likes

Absolutely. Fun spot! A movie at the Embassy (also now closed) followed by dinner at Jake’s afterward was a great night out for us.

You also sparked fond memories of Jimmy Burke’s Tuscan Grille in Waltham (which in turn, was the successor to Allegro). I was pleasantly surprised to read that Jimmy Burke and Joanie Wilson have returned to Massachusetts, where they now run Osteria Vivo in Pembroke.

3 Likes

Recent interview with Chris - sounds like he is in Westport full time and Steve is nearby.

2 Likes

Also in the history of 45 1/2 Mt. Auburn St in Cambridge:
“Daedalus - 45 1/2 Mount Auburn Street
Now recognized as a local landmark, 47 Mt. Auburn
street was the original site of Club 47. The club was
started by Joyce Kalina and Paula Kelly in 1958 as a jazz
coffeehouse. Because Cambridge laws did not permit
any establishment that served food and drink to also
house more than three stringed instruments, Club 47
obtained a nonprofit educational charter and became
a private club requiring people to pay a $1 member-
ship fee at the door. The club attracted college musi-
cians from both Cambridge and Boston and fostered a
community of musicians all playing and living with and
alongside one another. Club 47 performers included,
among others, Joan Baez, the Charles River Valley Boys,
Eric von Schmidt, Jackie Washington, and even an un-
paid and un-scheduled up-and-comer Bob Dylan.”

1 Like

The original incarnation of Bertucci’s upgraded the style of pizza that was typically available here, if my memory serves. I hadn’t ever had anything resembling a Neapolitan-style pizza before that.

Plus I remember that at least one location—in Holliston, MA—boasted an indoor bocce court. I don’t recall if Somerville had bocce too. It was also one of the places where I could get an espresso after my meal, which wasn’t common here back in the day. Turned me into a fan of espresso.

3 Likes

I used to work across the street from their test kitchen in Wakefield back in the late 1990s, and having the different choices way before they’d ever put them in their chain locations was great. They’d try out lots of new stuff and we’d order about 15 pies from them once a month for a company lunch.

My memories were of Salt (ate there twice and wish it had been many more, but it wasn’t in my budget as often as I’d have liked!) and Johnny D’s - the latter rarely for the food (although they did have excellent burgers!) but for the varied music, and the Sunday brunch and just feeling like family - Tina DeLellis took good care of her own - and the regulars knew NEVER to sit in her stool at the bar where she’d perch, keeping an eye on things. Loved getting to know the artists who’d sometimes shoot the shit with you, like having Brad Delp of Beatlejuice [post-Boston] walk past a group of us sitting at the back of the bar, who would always make $1.00 bets on what the first Beatles song would be, and tell us that we’d be waiting awhile once he saw the list we’d put together.

4 Likes

The House of Blues was amazing when it opened in the 90s. Felt so lucky to have it in Cambridge. There was another cool one that opened up on the Sunset Strip when I moved to CA but it is now long since closed (and demo’d). The surviving venues that I have been to are no where near as special with the possible exception of the one on Decatur St NOLA.

3 Likes

Have you not been as pleased with the new owners? I still think it’s one of the best dining experiences around.

My own list includes many already mentioned, especially Strip T’s and Craigie on Main, and one no one has mentioned:
I miss Gargoyles! It was walking distance from us, and sitting at that bar eating duck wing drumettes while watching snow fall in Davis Square was one of our early date night go-tos.

6 Likes

Yay, that is wonderful to hear. The past couple of years we haven’t been dining out like we once did.

2 Likes

My god, how could I forget Gargoyles. Remember Paul behind the bar? One of the nicest people in the restaurant biz that I have ever met.

5 Likes

I wanted to keep my list short but yeah 100% with you on ESK. I would kill to have another 3 or 4 Bourbon Smashes on the patio

4 Likes

That would be an impossible mission for me! :smile:

And thanks to this thread, I am procrastinating like crazy.

1 Like

Also - the dearly departed Zon’s in JP. At their best, they were the best.

Dorado Tacos in Brookline!

2 Likes

I really do miss the old House of Blues. It was a significant date night spot for me and my now long term partner. I even used my taste memory of their etouffee as the basis for the one I have been making for a couple decades now!

2 Likes

Since this is Boston, New England, I can list a few from Worcester:

• Chopsticks
  • Thai Orchid
  • Arturo’s (not the Westborough one)
  • Sakura Tokyo
3 Likes

I love hearing that. Those kind of memories are hard to top. The food was always so much better than it needed to be. The bands and acts that played there too were unbelievable. I adore etoufee…one of my favorite foods - pls don’t hesitate to post some glamour shots and recipe when u do your thing. I’m not personally worthy of the what you cooked for dinner thread often - but I like your game. Iko Iko @Amandarama !

4 Likes

Ask and you shall receive!

Shrimp and Crawfish Etouffee

4 oz. neutral oil

4 oz. flour

2 large celery stalks, medium diced

1 large onion, medium diced

2 large green peppers, medium diced

4 garlic cloves, sliced

2 t. kosher salt

2 t. black pepper

1.5 t. cayenne

1 T. sweet paprika

1 t. dried thyme

2 T. Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb seasoning (or 1. t each onion and garlic powders)

2 bay leaves

24 oz. beer (nothing too hoppy or malty. Beer flavored beer.)

1 c. shrimp, fish, or chicken stock

2 T. Worcestershire sauce

1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled

1 lb. crawfish tails, peeled (I get mine frozen and I think they may already be cooked)

1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced (Andouille if you have it. Kielbasa works too.)

Parsley and scallions, chopped (for garnish)

Cooked white rice (for serving)

Ok, with the caveat that I am a Northerner, the first thing I do is brown the sausage, remove from the pan, and make a roux with the oil and flour. I do this in a 350F oven, stirring every 30 minutes, a la Alton Brown. Usually 90 minutes gets me to a rusty roux bordering on milk chocolate, but sometimes I will go for 120 minutes. If you have a stovetop roux method you like, feel free to use it here. Aim for a milk chocolate roux.

When the roux is ready, move back to the stovetop and add the celery, onion, and green pepper. Cook over medium heat until the onion goes translucent and begins to soften. Then add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes. The garlic will become fragrant. Avoid browning the garlic. Add all the salt (I did use the 2 t. last time I made this. Your tolerance for salt may vary.), pepper, and spices/herbs and cook for another minute or two to bloom a bit. Add the beer, stock, and 1 T. Worcestershire. Stir thoroughly and then bring to a boil (keep stirring) until the liquid thickens. Add the sausage and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes. Add the shrimp and crawfish and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through and the crawfish have reheated. Taste and adjust your seasonings. Add the other tablespoon of Worcestershire if you think it needs it.

Serve over white rice with parsley and scallions on top.

10 Likes

thanks - looks great. love the dark color you achieved. I’ll give it whirl and report back

1 Like

-Bytes Cafe on Sidney Street, mid-Central Kendall. My co-workers and I ate lunch there probably 3 times a week. Their spicy falafel was so damned good, as were their Senegalese specials, usually a stew.

-Original Cafe Baraka, Cambridgeport. So many food revelations.

-I keep having moments of panic (“oh $#!t is X still around?”), most recently about Rangzen. It’s still there! We’d eat at the lunch buffet about 1 every week or so. Love that cozy spot so much, which is why I thought they couldn’t have possibly weathered Covid. Yay!

1 Like