Restaurants you dearly miss [Boston, New England]

ECG, Blue Room, Rendezvous, Hamersley’s Bistro. But those are all fairly recently departed compared with Maison Robert, Seasons, Jasper’s, Biba, Swiss Alps in Harvard Square. And Ken’s Deli on Boylston. And yes, I guess I am older than dirt.

4 Likes

I went to Something Savory, but it seemed to have been toned down(suburbs?) and a considerably smaller menu, from the Green St. Grill heyday…

2 Likes

In addition to pretty much everything Digga and MaxEntropy brought up, I miss the original Tim’s Tavern on Columbus. Fond memories of throwing your singles in the money box and fighting elbow-to-elbow to get your burger.

2 Likes

Thanks for the memories, digga, from you and others. Central Kitchen, Rendezvous, East Coast Grill, Blue Room all in Cambridge. And Rauxa, which was such a fabulous Spanish restaurant in Union Square, Somerville, in what was the old, original Elephant Walk. I lived in Spain for a couple of years in the 1980s and Rauxa, Jim Becker was the chef, is still after all these decades since the best Spanish food I’ve ever had in Boston. I still miss Rauxa all the time. Casablanca in Cambridge, through all the chefs who were there, especially Ana Sortun before Oleana.

I only experienced Hungry Mother a couple of times; liked it when I did.

2 Likes

Upstairs at the Pudding (and downstairs, Sandrine’s).
In the burbs, Bel Canto, Jimmy’s On The Mall, and The Magic Pan.

1 Like

Blue Room was outstanding. I really do miss that spot; food was so damn good and the wood-fire from the place next-door made the patio smell so nice

4 Likes

Strong co-sign on East Coast Grill, Rendezvous, Upstairs at the Pudding (the space on Winthrop St never recreated the magic of the original), Other Side (you sure we don’t know each other Digga?), Audubon, Hamersleys.

Some personal favorites include Sadies (Waltham), Craigie Street Bistro (the OG was unequaled), Miyako (Newbury & Gloucester), L’Espalier (Gloucester St. only!), Biba, Marcuccios, Pour House, Newbury Pizza, Salamander, Blue Ginger, Claremont Cafe, Grillfish, Charlie’s Sandwich, Cafe ArtScience, Maison Robert, Bay Tower Room, Anchovies, The Tasty, Les Masa, Great Scott (not a restaurant, but oh well), The Cantab, The Fours, The Oak Room, Brasserie Jo, Clio, Salts.

I know I listed some places that are technically still operating under new ownership, but they’re not the same.

I probably could go on, but I’m sad now.

6 Likes

It is sad, but at the same time, I find it to be a fun mental exercise.

1 Like

Yeah, Cafe ArtScience was such a fun and cool spot. I’m very sad that it didn’t last more than its handful of years. I had two really wonderful dinners there that cannot be replicated by anything we have. Maybe in the future…

On the recent closures, I’m also sad that Kamakura closed so soon. Another unique Boston area restaurant that I wish had more time to find it’s base group of supporters. That also reminds me of another Japanese restaurant of bygone eras, Tatsukichi. That was a good old school Japanese restaurant in downtown area that had really solid Japanese offerings, beyond the crazy maki rolls dominated menus.

The original Hong Kong Eatery with their sometimes surly waitstaff (surly to Chinese speakers! :sweat_smile:). Ever since the original owners had to quit the business, the new owners food hasn’t really been at that same level. I miss some of the old HK favorites. There are a few places that sell a few good renditions of wonton or fish balls noodle soup, congee, or pan fried dishes, but not one place that does everything as well.

There was also a stall in the long gone Chinatown food court called Swatow that was our go to for excellent Teochew food. They also had a really good salt-baked chicken, even though that is Hakka in origin. The northern Chinese food stall had excellent potstickers that we would also buy frozen and take home) - I can’t remember the name though. Also nameless is the lady who ran the HK egg cake cart down on the 1st floor. Those were a nice $1-2 dollar treat, especially warm.

5 Likes

Whoops, typo. I think this was supposed to be …Les Zygomates, Masa…

I am also going to regretfully add Cafe Sushi to my list. They are still open for take out, but never reopened for in person dining post pandemic. They haven’t said much about any possible future plans, despite retaining their space. Their takeout is very good, however their omakase experience can not be replicated via take out.

2 Likes

I came back to this thread to add exactly that, for exactly the reasons you mention.

2 Likes

Is Cafe Sushi closed? Or is in on the axe list in the near future?

EDIT: NVM. Just read @uni 's post more carefully. Yeah, and sushi is not the most takeout friendly if you’re not living or dining somewhere in the area.

Man, I LOVED Hungry Mother. LOVED it. We don’t live close to it, but we went there really frequently. Remember the wall coverings in the bathroom? Their cornbread? Fried fish?

Also thirding/fourthing ECG, Blue Room, and especially Rendezvous. What happened to Steve Johnson?

3 Likes

+1 on missing Tatsukichi. Especially when the karaoke was upstairs (I could generally also get the regular menu delivered up there too).

I definitely missed out on the karaoke! I was mainly there for lunch on many days, since I worked downtown. Found this old reference in Boston Magazine, and didn’t realize it survived until 1999. And never realized it was an outpost of a restaurant in Shinjuku area of Tokyo. Guess that’s why it had such an authentic menu.

Tatsukichi Boston

1 Like

Several listed that I do miss, especially Hungry Mother and the original Craigie on Main, but I’m surprised no one has listed the one I miss most dearly, and that’s Eastern Standard Kitchen. It was my go to for taking people from out of town (they could accommodate steak and potatoes folks, as well as offal eaters), and their cocktails and service were superb. I also loved day drinking there, and spoke to more interesting people at that bar than any other in the city/region.

5 Likes

YES @kimfair ! ESK was fantastic - such a loss.

1 Like

I remember this! We lived on the edge of Chinatown/South End when I was a kid, so this was routine to pass by this shop as we wandered around Chinatown. Didn’t go in much except a few times and it was mainly following my older siblings around. I do recall it relocating somewhere within the downtown Boston area, but can’t remember the exact location anymore. There was also an movie theater that wasn’t one of the adult ones :laughing: on Washington St.

1 Like

Cool stuff.

We came from outside the city so going to Jack’s was a major highlight and trophy to take back home.

Google seems to say that it’s relocated to 61 Dorchester Ave (and now also refills propane tanks which hopefully don’t explode). I think you can get much of this gear on Amazon now but it’s not nearly as fun or prized that way. Oh, the squirting ketchup bottle was a good one too!

jack’s joke shop boston - Google Search

Some other fun nuggets there.

Family Guy Jack’s Joke Shop | Family Guy Wiki | Fandom

Also I don’t think anyone’s mentioned it, but Durgin Park was a thing and having the entire staff sing happy bday to my dad in a wicked Masshole way was pretty glorious.

3 Likes

I loved their whole, spicy Hunan fish!!

1 Like