Restaurants to Customers: Don’t Call Us, We Won’t Call You

I once put up an OOO alert that said, “I am ignoring your email because I am out of the office. I will be ignoring your emails from my office when I return Jan 7. “

2 Likes

My adhd has me fiercely task driven so rather than waiting for a confirmation text or email I will call people and move on. I don’t suffer meetings that should be emails or a text however. So people pick up pretty quickly how to do business with me.

I called a doctor for an appointment and was told he was booked out two months. So, being the doc and I are friends I called him. He told me, “Steve, I’m booked out 8 weeks.” I told him, “Haim, if someone is waiting for an appointment in 8 weeks, they won’t mind waiting 8 weeks and a day.” :smirk:

4 Likes

Yep. And that’s frustrating.

If a NYT (or other newspaper) subscription isn’t in one’s budget (it’s been in and out of ours) or not something one wants to put their money toward, many libraries have digital subscriptions. Often, access to those subscriptions are available through the library’s website/portal - with the “hitch” that one needs to be a library member.

This is what we do in order to read papers/publications we don’t subscribe to (we’ve a limited “support journalism” budget and are focused on mostly local/regional resources). (And yes, we donate to support the libraries!)

4 Likes

Also, if you happen to have a subscription to NYT in your budget, they let you share every now and then.

2 Likes

Agree and I’m on Hoopla for that purpose. I also find and often post on HO non paywall links of many NYT articles reposted by other news outlets and avail without issue online by just searching the articles headline.

2 Likes

Not sure why it looks like this, but it might work.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/28/dining/restaurant-phone-line-call.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuonUktbfqYhkSVUZCybZXN4mqBLBn_XU3LUhnHb4MG2NSTFEwqERAo6NvkzEYa4lZ8c2237TYu59B4IVZa44yP5DbQsqQhO0o5CAldMPLnVs8YziByY4hsrBGO1h_GGvPzbgJaJ2yeHi50neamTrC_TPwDZ2clYe1JhiclGr0XINxL6UUbImn4kjgopyQ8xyVjwCZyKVvvL3ChUYOdyObRHU7wBeSPgOEHiI3obas-RcBV0UXVHWT3p_4nI-68dcOr4VPaX_Jx0meKnukNN-2cPyReClHuTcFHE7fTM)

Good tip! I just checked and they let my have 5 day access through my public library account. Not sure if it is recurring or what. I use Kanopy to watch a lot of movies through the public library as well, they have a great selection of foreign films and documentaries.

3 Likes

We use Kanopy, too. Love that they have The Great Courses available! Kanopy plus Criterion Collection keeps my movie-watching partner happy (I sometimes join in the viewing of documentaries).

Seriously, libraries are amazing resources - and sadly, not everyone knows what they offer.

5 Likes

IRS, maybe?

2 Likes