Restaurant suggestion in Monmouth/north Ocean county

Katz’s Deli in the Highlands for the Marlboro Mayo Turkey Sub a la Dottie, Caggiano Seal of Approval.

3 Likes

I completely forgot about Belford Bistro. Their gnocchi and angry shrimp is always awesome. My issue with this place is I can’t recall them ever changing the menu.

2 Likes

all I can think of is the Simpsons episode arguing over defention of “all you can eat”.

keep meaning to get there- it seems to be one of those places that doesn’t get mentioned much but is held in high regard usually. I’m sure the location works against them to some extent.

1 Like

does anyone have recent info on Piccola? Yet another place I mean to try - but I just can’t get over price point to eat in strip mall in Ocean (nowhere near the Ocean). I know at one point it was one of top dogs in the area.

Jeff @BossaNova mentioned this place is top notch. He knows good food too :slight_smile: maybe he can chime in.

Try the short rib and butcher bacon app. I think you will like both

We live close to Piccola and were semi-regulars several years ago. Our visits have become fewer and farther between - staff changes and menu changes have not been favorable. It also became impossible to drop in and have dinner for 2 for under $160. The food has always been quite wonderful - just not THAT wonderful.

If you have the wallet for it I encourage you to try it.

4 Likes

that’s always been a reason I’ve avoided- that’s a lot of $$ for what I’m sure is good food but for a parking to in Ocean, I dunno.

There ya go!

Great food is where you find it. I never found a problem with the location. I rather enjoy being able to park.

Piccola is very good. The chef/owner, Brian worked in some of NYC’s top places and really knows what he is doing. They use quality ingredients and prepare them well. They also have a bar area and make good cocktails.

When Brian’s wife, Carolina, is running the FOH service is very good. There have been some lapses when she is not present.

It’s not cheap, but I’ve always thought it was worth it.

4 Likes

Dear friend’s visit was a gastronomic triumph. Day 1 - lunch at Talulah. Had bread, pastrami Reuben, and rocket pie. All were top notch. Dinner at Semolina. Poached Maryland shrimp with Meyer lemon gazpacho. Tortellini with pea and cashew filling, coconut butter and pea tendrils. Grilled Berkshire pork chop. Dark chocolate panna cotta for dessert. Entire meal deserves a repeat!
Day 2 was more low key. Very satisfying lunch at Terese Caffe in Princeton. Casual dinner at The Elbow Room in Bradley. Shared roasted turkey sandwich and a hamburger. Did not disappoint. Really need to cut food consumption for the next three weeks. We will be traveling to Spain for a vacation that will involve lots of good food and drink.
Thank you all for the suggestions.

5 Likes

I think you just placed my order for my return visit to Semolina tomorrow! So glad you and your friend enjoyed!

1 Like