Restaurant Sanitary Inspection Score

Back in 2015, we were having dinner in a very long established upmarket place in the city. Then I spot a cockroach taking a stroll across the room. I beckoned the manager and pointed to the beastie. She grabbed a glass, trapped and removed it. The nearby tables will have seen what had happened but most of the restaurant won’t. A little while later, she came round the few tables and offered a freebie cheese course. Done with class - no explanation as to why the offer but, of course, none was needed. Not stopped me returning and, in fact, will be there next week.

3 Likes

Indeed they are. Judging by the amount of “guests” we get at our weekend cabin, the place must have a four-star rating on Mouse Airbnb. I might have overlooked the bar/mice incident had my server been less blasé about it; she basically glanced over at them and shrugged. At least pretend to care, lady!

1 Like

Have been a plumbing contractor for more than 35 years here in NYC and the stories from my workers are incredible…perhaps the worst was in a “Greek Diner”… (nothing to do with Greek food or establishments) The "cook’ had a stock pot with looked like soup cooling in the corner , near a staircase going the to the basement. There was a cat perched up on top of the Stock kettle, lapping up the soup.
My workers said the restaurant was pretty clean, but they had at least 4 cats in the basement. It seemed to reason that they were the “mice enforcers”!

1 Like

Or the owner is a super cat lady

1 Like

Would you really want to find out?

To be honest, it begs the question… are we more concerns with potential rats in the kitchen, or the mere facts of having 4 cats running around the top of a stock pot is enough.

1 Like

Two factors cause me to have a relatively high tolerance for a less than perfect score.
Travels to developing countries in my younger days, and my own less than perfect sanitary practices in the kitchen at home.

I don’t decide where to go based on sanitary scores. Partially that’s because I don’t know, or don’t bother to find out, the score ahead of time. But once I am there, if the conditions are subpar enough to bother me, I most likely won’t go a second time.

For example, a place I recently went to had pretty good, and pretty difficult to find, food, but the sanitation was rather appalling. Dead baby cockroach in the dish collection bucket. My bowels mildly disagreed with the food the next day. I’d love to go back for the food but its hard to justify given the plethora of choices around.

1 Like