Restaurant 618 Freehold NJ

Had a super tasty bacon cheeseburger great fries & a Kronenborg (?)beer perfect combination. 618 is the real deal

2 Likes

I had a fusilli dish there the other night. It was awful: gummy pasta with a tan colored, gluey ā€˜sauceā€™ that tasted like salt and garlic. Terrible. Husbandā€™s pork chop was ā€˜okā€™. Definitely not a fan but it was packed and looks like they are doing well.

Servers were extremely nice.

1 Like

Wow , thatā€™s a surprise. I have been going there frequently and whatever I get has been good.Never had a pasta dish mostly fish & meat. Love the shrimp & grits.
Very creative cocktail program too. Very surprised.

I agree with Sealā€™s original review, except that it wasnā€™t cheap.

1 Like

The place has been totally redone both kitchen , bar& food since that review. 2017?
Itā€™s not like I have a personal attachment to the place, I do enjoy going there though.
Their bar outshines both Cuzinsā€™s & Cucina Osteria & I do enjoy sitting at the bar.
Drew does have much better shrimp & grits but thatā€™s a different thread.

2 Likes

To be fair, 618 has changed quite a bit in 5 years. So much so that it is now mentioned as a decent spot for a party or big gathering.

I havenā€™t been but people I trust have been saying their food is better than it was.

Having said that, Iā€™m glad you told us about your meal @angela and if I go back I will avoid the fusilli :grin:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve known the owner of 618 casually for over 20+ years. I know this much; he has a family member who is a techie and apparently excellent in SEO. This explains the overwhelming publicity of ā€œVoted # 1ā€¦ā€ that they use in most advertising. Voted #1 romantic restaurant - Voted #1 Monmouth County - Voted #1 Wine Spectator etc. etc.

Donā€™t get me wrong, they are doing a hell of a business there, canā€™t fault them. However, I do know that they have a lot of tech support to help them get the recognition(s) they advertise. They also do have a nice banquet venue, which is hard to find in the area for smaller / non-ballroom type environment.

FYI Iā€™ve been twice and I found the food to be fine / ok, especially for the area. I think it does so well because of the location, the only competition is American Hotel & Metro, both are downtown which has itā€™s own drawbacks. I think if 618 was closer to say Red Bank, their story / success would be a little different story.

5 Likes

Went to 618 tonight for dinner
When did this place become so popular that reservation is now needed on a Sunday evening?
We sat at the bar and was surprised to find out it was Happy Hour no big deal except for the 18 dollar cocktails some were $9
The appetizers were delicious and the food was delicious but $194 !!!
Am I that out of touch??
I had a Red Snapper and she had the short ribs and 2 Aperol Spritz I had 2 glasses of wine
No desert no coffee
The 194 was with tip
I Really want to think that this is not the normal thing
Is It??

3 Likes

What kind of appetizers are we talking here? Seafood towers? Otherwise that does seem extremely high

Iā€™ve stopped having more than one drink when we go out now. It just becomes too expensive at most mid level or higher end places. Iā€™ll just wait and have another vodka tonic at home for 3 dollars or less rather than pay 15 for a weaker drink. I get the economics and the mark up is necessary to some extent for the restaurant, but lately given rising costs itā€™s just too much for me to handle 150 tabs when we go out and split an appetizer and donā€™t get steak or lobster as a main.

4 Likes

Appetizers were a bruschetta and a shisedo pepper dish
Glad you agree that the bill was excessive for what we had
Iā€™m a cranky old man but Iā€™m not cheap
I have a bad habit from my expense account days of just throwing down my card and not paying attention to prices, guess Iā€™m just going to have to change my age old habits

2 Likes

Can I say:

Yes, its normal (or bordering normal).

No, youā€™re not out of touch.

You saw my post RE: A Salute. Four drinks and two apps was $100, so add two entrees and tip and we absolutely would have matched your $194 or exceeded.

1 Like

Itā€™s ridiculous how expensive a simple meal out has become
Wasnā€™t yesterday it was $100 ?
I am an old man and canā€™t imagine how people younger than me can afford to eat out anymore and live normal lives without earning big bucks does anyone make less than $150,000 dollars ??? Thank goodness I only support myself
I started noticing how crazy things were when I saw Talulahā€™s in Asbury Park was getting $30 for pizza and I swore that I would never pay that much for pizza
Now everyone has a $30 pizza on their menu

1 Like

They eat at cheaper places.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not the ā€œolder crowdsā€ who are keeping Red Bank jumping. Itā€™s the 30-50ā€™s year olds who apparently have more discretionary income than any other previous generation.

2 Likes

Totally agree, RedBank has an older crowd only compared to Asbury Park
Definitely a 30-50 age crowd compared to AP

1 Like