Reporting on some recent eats in Westchester

Gwenn, I’d say that some of the servers still seem a bit clueless, as most of them are very, very young. But they are earnest and easy to please and seem to learn very quickly as we have seen the same servers “evolve” over multiple visits. One thing I really love is that everyone who works there, from the kitchen staff to the servers to the hosts to the managers, seems to be having a fantastic time and seems to love and be committed to the ethos of the restaurant. You can’t help but have fun there if you are open to it and I think that goes for all age groups from kids to older folks.

Floridahound, you’ll get a good idea of what it’s like if you check out their very entertaining facebook page!!

I just noticed this thread and thought I’d toss in a vote for Beehive at dinner. We had dinner there on Christmas Eve this past year, on our way up to CT for our church gigs. The food wasn’t anything spectacularly creative, but it was all very delicious in a homey way. The three of us ordered a brisket special, a Reuben, and meatloaf (if I recall correctly), and we were all very satisfied with our meals (and stuffed - the portions are HUGE). If you are looking for old-fashioned home cooking done right, you can’t go wrong here.

Wow, Gwenn, that’s amazing service.

Anyone know if the Fortina in Rye Ridge is equally good?

We finally got to Piero’s in Harrison last evening. Very good overall.

I’ve never been to the one in Rye but I’d think it’s a safe bet. That is who they are. [quote=“biondanonima, post:22, topic:6195”]
If you are looking for old-fashioned home cooking done right, you can’t go wrong here.
[/quote]

Yes, that is exactly what I’m looking for. I am so sick of trendy!!! I now have a part time gig in Armonk and may check it out for lunch. Thanks.

Fortina is absolutely trendy but the food is quite good.

The Rye Brook Fortina is just as trendy and as good as the Armonk one. The “mix” of customers steers a little closer to families with kids or teens on their own,but not a tremendous difference and the decor/vibe is pretty much the same. Was at the RB one the other night and the hostess (Kate) was extremely helpful and even came by my table during the meal,which was appreciated.

Here’s another big thumbs up for Blue Pig. I spend as much time as I can on the river and can’t seem to manage to go anywhere near Croton without an ice cream stop. I love the mint chip (made from mint they grow!), the mojito sorbet, anything made with fresh fruit (berries, peach), and the whole vibe.

Also: I recently discovered Moo Moo’s Creamery in Cold Spring, and it’s really worth a visit, too. Flavors there are even more unusual than at Blue Pig–fig, oatmeal cookie… Huge portions, lovely river view to enjoy as you slurp.

We’ve got to get to Blue Pig before the summer is out. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth but my husband is an ice cream freak, I’m sure he will love it!

Blue Pig luckily is open year-round now, save for the month of February when they close for vacation. I love visiting in the summertime, but once fall comes, they start making their incredibly good soup in many different varieties… and they still have ice cream! Comfort food all year round.

Wow, soup AND ice cream - yay!!