Regional Chinese roundup 3.0 (SF Bay Area)

jiangnan
shanghainese
sichuanese
chinese

@sck, DNM Hot Pot (Inner Mongolia) on Clement and Hakka Cuisine in Fremont were also added.

@Night07, a Cantonese primer would be an amazing (and generous) asset to HO!

In restaurant news:

• Eater reports that the owners of Dumpling Kitchen on Taraval are retiring and it has closed.
  • The unstoppable @zippo1 reports that Yu’s Idea is closed for remodeling. Their liquor license, attached to former Chili Padi (which shares owners), expires in March.
1 Like

• Henry Hunan’s Grant St. location is reported as closed on Yelp. Jonathan Kauffman wrote in 2015 about their (at the time) untranslated Chinese menu that had Sichuan and Hunan dishes that departed from the Chinese American tilt of the other locations.

• Xi’an Taste in Newark has closed.

0 Likes

• Smoky Man (SF Outer Sunset) has closed

• I’ve learned that the trio of Sizzling Pot Kings we have are part of a chain that started in San Diego, and now in Seattle and Chicago. That means, to my knowledge, the only local chain that has extended outside the Bay Area is Tasty Pot, which originated in San Jose (according to Luke Tsai), and now has 17 locations in North America; and a few places that are in the Davis/Sacramento area.

0 Likes

split this topic #289

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: SFBA journalism news

0 Likes

King of Noodles now is operating (sharing?) the kitchen in the Underground Grill King 2543 Noriega, San Francisco karaoke/restaurant space according to a Yelp page. To my knowledge, this is the first business affiliated with Kingdom of Dumpling/Noodles to have alcohol.

1 Like

Michelin has released its first book to focus on a particular cuisine, in this case Cantonese.

Sadly, the Amazon page doesn’t allow you to view the pages. I’d like to see what they have for California.

1 Like

I wonder how much is just rehashed material specific to Cantonese cuisine from their various geographic guides:

Fine Cantonese Food by the Michelin Guide 2018-2019: Asia, Europe and USA

Featured Establishments in the United States

San Francisco
Mister Jiu’s (One Star)
Hong Kong Lounge II (Bib Gourmand)
Lai Hong Lounge (Bib Gourmand)
M.Y. China (Bib Gourmand)
Yank Sing (Bib Gourmand)
Hong Kong Flower Lounge (Plate)
Koi Palace (Plate)

Chicago
Jade Court (Bib Gourmand)
Minghin (Bib Gourmand)
Phoenix (Plate)

New York City
Congee Village (Bib Gourmand)
Dim Sum Go Go (Bib Gourmand)
East Harbor Seafood Palace (Bib Gourmand)
Golden Unicorn (Plate)
Great N.Y. Noodletown (Plate)
Hakkasan (Plate)

1 Like

SF Public will have a few copies soon.

1 Like

(Gary Soup) #294

It’s a decent list for SF, but I wouldn’t characterize Mister Jiu’s as Cantonese. It’s a bit of a stretch for M.Y. China as well, IMHO. Their best dishes are the northern-style noodle and dumpling dishes.

1 Like

• Hanlin in SF Chinatown has been replaced by Capputea Restaurant, another business with Taiwanese food (and, of course, hot pot)

• Eater reports that Crooked City Cider Taproom is partnering with James Yu from Great China. No word yet on what to expect.

• Dim Sum Corner, a new spot in SF Chinatown’s historical Cathay House building, has Shanxi scissor-cut noodles and a variety of dim sum distributed from the Koi Palace commercial kitchen, as I learned today.

1 Like

• Chan’s Kitchen in Oakland Chinatown is reported closed according to Yelp. Hmmm… from the storefront, appeared to be open a few days ago.
0 Likes

Yelp pulled their ‘Closed’ sign. I walked by today at noon and a handwritten sign on the door said ‘Temporary Close,’ a metal metal gate was slightly open and all the chairs and fixture were in their proper places. I didn’t see any staff, workers or patrons but my guess is that they are doing some internal upgrades.

1 Like

Thanks!

On a similar note, A One Kitchen, in San Bruno, has a new Yelp review mentioning hot pot and what looks like chopped meat in a chicken leg shape stuffed with melted yellow cheese.

0 Likes

(Gary Soup) #299

Melted cheese? More likely a take on bang bang sauce (mayonnaise and yellow curry).

0 Likes

(Therese) #300

From what tradition is bang bang sauce mayo and yellow curry? I know of only the Sichuan version with scallions soy, vinegar, sesame, chili, and Sichuan peppercorn.

0 Likes

(Gary Soup) #301

Actually, I think it’s mayo and sweet chili sauce. Probably from the Tiki bar tradition, or a Florida seafood chain.

https://goo.gl/MPVVi7

0 Likes

(Gary Soup) #302

Actually, I went back and read the Yelp reviews. The “Bangbang Bone” is stuffed with beef, chicken and cheese. Not from any Chinese tradition, for sure!

0 Likes

Two restaurants back from the grave:

• Xiao Long Bao Kitchen (South San Francisco) home of the Bay Area’s first whopper sized XLB, not sure why it had been reported closed by Yelp. Sister restaurant to Milbrae’s Shanghai Dumpling Shop.

• Jiuding Flavor Restaurant (Milpitas) has re-opened and revamped as Sichuan hot-pot

1 Like

Does anyone know the history of Happy Restaurant/ Happy House in Cupertino? I saw they advertise themselves as a ‘hundred year old restaurant’ on the outside. Is it a chain in China?

0 Likes

I can give some insight but I’d like to hear from others about experiences eating at the the US or China locations! Happy House (Dublin) and Happy House (San Jose) are part of LiLian Gui XunRou DaBing chain), so it appears you identified a new one! The first Bay Area location, in Milpitas, is now called Dingguagua Tasty Legend (Milpitas) (the sign had said Perfect Food for a long time). I don’t know whether it’s still part of the chair on not.

While I’m writing, some closures:

• Guo in Fremont
  • Taste of Formosa, on Clement in the Outer Richmond, is closed, phone disconnected according to Yelp. They’d been there a long time, at least 15 years. Anyone know what happened?
  • Chan’s Kitchen in Newark, and according to yelp, the Oakland one too.
1 Like