Regional Chinese roundup 3.0 (SF Bay Area)- April 2016 - December 2017 archive

Now we just have to find some Inner Mongolian food.

Just want to note that Hotpot First’s hotpot is Chongqing hot pot.

it looks like this (Picture from Yelp) (#1, the Chongqing ma la hot pot):

Fondue Chinoise looks a bit different (Picture from Yelp):

So I don’t know if there is a regional hot pot difference within Sichuan

Chef Zhao kitchen in Palo Alto shares the same owner as Shanghai Garden, is open.

I’m not sure how to categorize this spot, but Tofu Village in Outer Sunset serves pretty good liang pi (or is this liang fen?) and has hot pot and tons of mala dishes.

Thanks for the report! I’ve been waiting to hear about them since they changed their format last year. Their current menu lists a lot of Sichuan classics.

The cloudy crystal look makes me think those are mung bean liang fen. I’ve had a similar dish at other Sichuan restaurants and have the shirt stains to prove it :slight_smile: Shaanxi wheat starch-based “liang pi” tends to be more ivory opaque. To add to the confusion, there’s a Shandong / Northeastern Chinese dish called “Liang Zhang Pi” (called “double skin” at a few places here) that uses mung bean noodles. That said, I’ve seen some proves say liang pi on their menus when they’ve served mung bean Liang fen, so what do I know!

Is that Chinese celery? I imagine that would taste really good with the chili oil sauce.

I think it’s probably liang fen. I have no idea what Chinese celery tastes like since I never tried it by itself, but the liang fen there is pretty good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Closed

• Chili palace (Sichuan, Milpitas) closed
  • Terra Cotta Warrior – closed until new management takes over

Openings

Soon to come

You might want to add Hanlin Tea Room (Taiwanese) at this point. They’ll be opening Friday or Saturday (or so they tell me).

1 Like

Lulu’s Kitchen (same owner as concord) replaces Yu Yu in Dublin.

1 Like

Sichuan Fusion in Pacific East Mall, being around for a few years and quite authentic.

1 Like

Some people liked the beef noodle soup at the new place Old Taro in Fremont. Old taro is a nickname for Nationalist soldiers who migrated to Taiwan after losing the civil war.

1 Like
  • Wang’s kitchen (Indian Chinese, Milpitas) is closed

I’ve gotta do some more research to categorize the following (and can use help), but here they are in the meantime.

• Inchin’s Bamboo Garden, an Indian Chinese chain, opened a location in Sunnyvale.

• Deccan Spice, a new Indian place on Valencia in the Mission has some Indo-Chinese items. I’ll have to compare the menu to other places to see whether it has enough to make the list. Good chicken thali lunch special…

• Zen Noodle Bar in San Mateo has Shanghainese owners, and noodles that are cut by machine and listed as ‘rolled noodles.’. I’m going to put this in the “other” category— it has some Shanghainese, Taiwanese, and Japanese items

• According to Yelp, King Tsin on Solano in Berkeley has been replaced by a place called Sichuan Style. Anyone know more info?

• Mala formula , Newark, Malatang, grilled items, some BBQ and snacks from random parts of China

• Xiang Xiang Noodle opened their second location in Cupertino. Round buckwheat noodles, Shanxi knife shaved noodles, Chinese spaetzle (ge da) and 硬麵饅頭, yingmian mantou, dry bun.

Wasn’t there a thread on that other board about King Tsin being taken over by some China Village people?

Some former China Village folks took over King Tsin in 2015 and someone on Food Talk Central noticed this April that it was for sale on craigslist.

I went to King Tsin for lunch today. All the signs and the menus say King Tsin, and the same staff was working there. I mentioned rumors of a sale to the headwaiter, and he shook his head. It was really hopping at 1:00 today, and the black-bean fish fillet was excellent.

Thanks, Ernie! Sounds like some goofery on Yelp.

It does look like they changed the name, though. There is a website for Sichuan Style, http://www.sichuanstyleberkeley.com/, and the King Tsin website mentioned in Yelp doesn’t work anymore.

Hmm… Learned about the great Taiwan Night Market in Arcadia (near Pasadena) from Anne Roth piece. Also 5Joy in Foster City sounds interesting. Has anyone tried it recently? Chowhound report thread from 2009 was very positive.

poke supreme opening soon a few doors from Chick & Tea in Milpitas. \

Kou Fu Ju Sichuan Gourmet (Milpitas) is closed.
Fondue Chinoise (SF North Beach) appears to be closed.

Anyone have news on the following?

Tai Chi Jianbing ended its popup, but says it will open in a new location

According to Yelp,
Uyghur Taamliri is closed until 2017
Terra Cotta Warrior has re-opened