Regional Chinese Baked Goods Roundup (SF Bay Area)

Like to add one each for Oakland Rudy King just down the street from Napolean. Red House on San Bruno Ave in San Francisco. Both Western style bakeries. The Red House is a full menu of Chinese and Western style food to go, maybe by now you can eat inside.

2 Likes

Though filmed in New York, this is a taste-off of many different kinds of mooncakes that starts at about the 10:10 mark in the video -

Beef wellington mooncake?! … I think I’m game haha

2 Likes

I was walking down Irving Street in the Sunset and came across a lineup at a bakery. Turns out it was Pineapple King. I got in line and had one original pineapple bun with butter ($2.65) which was pretty darned good. As mentioned above pineapple buns don’t have pineapple in them (although Pineapple King actually has one filled with pineapple) but rather are named for the Dutch crunch like crunchy topping that somewhat resembles a pineapple skin.

The top of my bun was crispy and crunchy. The rest of the bun had a nice fluffy texture and was sweet. The thick slab of butter inserted within added some creamy buttery goodness. I think part of the appeal is that they make fresh buns throughout the day and there is a lot of turnover. Would get again.

Outside - it is basically a takeout window.

Interesting pineapple bun genealogy chart.

Original pineapple bun with butter.

4 Likes

Lol I have been around there several times and have yet to get a pineapple bun.

1st time. Chose to eat early dinner first when there was a line and then they closed afterwards.
2nd time. winter holiday
3rd time. some other reason they were not open.

Glad you liked the bun.

1 Like