Quick vegan dinners for two?

it’s really interesting how this is shaking out for me. I thought I’d be making tons of stir frys but I’m meh after a couple. So I seem to now have 2 soup days: one bean, one vegan vegetable with sandwiches such as tofu egg salad, one pasta day with that nice cauliflower vegan white sauce or tomato or mushroom sauce (I buy a nice slice of focaccia at the gourmet hippie co-op) and 2 curry days. I love Indian food and I make the dal on the weekend & my bean soup. Then during the week, I make a quick veg curry. Since I have all the spices it’s maybe 1/2 hr tops. One thing I really like is the tiny pre-cubed tofu, I bought it by mistake but it’s super to toss into my spinach curry or egg salad. Normally I’d laugh at such a thing but it is really handy!

1 Like

Sounds like you’re doing great and eating well. Since you mentioned focaccia, one of my favourite sandwiches is a roasted vegetable sandwich on focaccia. Roast up some eggplant, zucchini, red peppers, tomato and red onion. Smear the bread with pesto (make it vegan!) layer the roasted vegetables and drizzle with an aged balsamic. Another similar sandwich would be to roast the same veg but instead of pesto this time, smear the bread with harissa (if you like mayo mix the harissa in with Veganaise). I add pan seared haloumi to this but I bet a thin slab of grilled tofo would be good as well.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great strategy you have! None of your adventist nut loaves make the regular rotation? :wink:
What’s the tiny cubed tofu? I don’t think i’ve ever seen that…

Pumpernickel Mmm, the roasted vegs on focaccia with pesto mayo or harissa mayo sounds perfect. Thanks for such a great suggestion

Ttrockwood, lol those loaves are just too big, too much food to make…but now you have me thinking as I have mini loaf pans and I could freeze the rest (how do you freeze stuff?) because who doesn’t love an Adventist roast with cashew gravy:) Gosh that’s fab. I’m so grateful for this thread!

Pumpernickel, please tell me more about that cauliflower sauce.

Who dictated those loaves must only be made in big loaf pans?? Pppffftttt.
Bake some in mini loaf pans, or better yet muffin tins- or chill the mix and roll into meatlessballs! Bake up, cool completely, then i would do a saran wrap then foil wrap and freeze, or with the meatless balls freeze solid on a cookie sheet or plate first and then just transfer to a ziplock freezer bag.
I’ve never tried freezing cashew gravy but i’ve frozen mushroom gravy no problem - would def do that seperately (or in a pinch Imagine’s vegan mushroom soup works as a gravy too :))
Then just reheat the meatless loaf/balls and gravy while prepping a veggie side!

1 Like

I can’t find the recipe that I’ve used, I’ll keep looking but it’s similar to this
http://www.helynskitchen.com/2014/06/cauliflower-alfredo-vegan-and-oil-free.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+HelynsHealthyKitchen+(Helyn’s+Healthy+Kitchen)

Thanks so much, this look rich and delicious yet not very caloric.

I’d love to get your cauliflower alfredo sauce recipe if you’re willing to share it. I googled it, and there are a lot, so I’d rather use one that is recommended. Thanks!

I still can’t find my written copy but I’m pretty sure I’ve got the recipe correct in my noggin. Here it is:

1 small head of cauliflower roughly broken into florets
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
enough stock to cover the florets (vegetarian chicken stock works better than vegetable stock in this but both would be fine)
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper
2 Tbs nutritional yeast
1/4 - 1/2 tsp onion powder
tiny pinch of cayenne
cream or vegan milk of your choice
one quarter of a lemon

Place the cauliflower and garlic in a saucepan and just barely cover with stock. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and your pinch of nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until tender. Check it on occasion and ad more stock if needed.

When cauliflower is very soft, drain the stock (reserve) and place the cauliflower and garlic in a blender or food processor and purée until almost smooth. Add the nutritional yeast, onion powder, cayenne, squeeze or two of lemon juice and a splash of cream or vegan milk. Continue to purée adding more cream/vegan milk or reserved stock as needed. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

I sure hope I didn’t leave anything out.

Great - thank you so much. I can’t wait to try it!

I’ve made this one a number of times, very similar to what pumpernickel posted- i like to use a bit more oil, like 2-3TB , even with that it’s a low cal delicious sauce
http://ohsheglows.com/2014/01/20/cauli-power-fettuccine-alfredo-vegan/

Thanks! Saved for later in the week.

1 Like