Quick and Dirty HOdown Lunch Friday 8/17 in Asbury Park

I’m all about a veggie sandwich but on my terms! If I order a damn cheesesteak, there better be some meat between that bread!

Sorry, excusing myself from this thread. I’m too hungry to read about food before lunch.

3 Likes

Yes, it was pretty amusing to see his utter disbelief as he was awaiting a delicious cheesesteak, with mushrooms and onions lathered in cheese. Only to have a mushroom and onion sandwich with cheese. Yes, I took great pleasure in his pain. (yep that’s the kind of friend I am)

2 Likes

A meatless cheesesteak is cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me.

2 Likes

This is where a few quotation marks would help:

HAIGHT AND ASHBURY PARK BOOMER: Portobello mushroom cheese “steak,” provolone

4 Likes

Sorry, I thought it was something different. :grin:

2 Likes

Y’all are going to be the daily winners on this thread after eating those sandwiches!

2 Likes

I agree. A portobello is a very “meaty” vegetable. But, that should be explicitly stated!

2 Likes

Standing by for a report!

1 Like

Come one come all it’s about to go down!!!

I’m not saying I"m hungry but I might order the Half-a-horse-hoagie!!!

1 Like

Have fun! Sadly, other plans for lunch…

1 Like

Jr you might need two subs. They aren’t too huge.

1 Like

Did you ever notice how things sometimes look better on television? As far as the food here goes that is certainly true.

@NotJrvedivici @BossaNova @MishyPoo and myself met at the long and narrow restaurant today. It was great to see them and we all had fun catching up.

We decided to share some food and since the chicken sandwich comes on a round roll and the “cheesesteak” comes on a long subroll, we had 2 Pickle Fockers:

and a THE OLE STEAK SANG-GWEECH (forgive the caps - cut n paste):

Sides possible were potato chips, fries, and cole slaw so we got one of each - not worth pictures.

We all agreed that everything was fine but this is not a destination worthy place. If I were in AP, and I wanted a sandwich or a burger, I would consider Speakeatery. On DDD the joint looked like a spot I would go out of my way for, but IRL it is just a solid, neighborhood sandwich shop.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I didn’t really want to say much before you went. Food is good but it’s kind of expensive. 13 and change for a smaller cheese steak

2 Likes

Interestingly enough, the culinary highlight of the trip was when we all went to Purple Glaze donuts near the corner of Emory St and Summerfield Ave afterwards. No pics but there are plenty on their site:

http://www.purpleglazedonuts.com/

1 Like

Did you guys have the old bay fries? I like those!

1 Like

They only had a regular fries option at lunch and they were not very good and too salty. Overall I’d say their sides were the weakest part of the meal.

It was definitely underwhelming. The sandwiches were ok but nothing worth finding parking for. The pickle chicken was unique but not something I’d go back for. The cheesesteak was ok but not in the top 10 of cheesesteaks I’ve had.

1 Like

For 8 or 9 bucks the cheese steak would be a good call. For 13 and change, it’s overpriced.

All I can say is I prefer the food to be the highlight of the meal, in this case the company far surpassed the quality of the food.

1 Like

Did you do one or two subs? I know I could do two of those and you surely could too lol