QR Code Menus... Spawn of Satan or Happy Little Thing?

A while ago I was like third or fourth in a check line when I notice the person checking out hand money to the cashier.

I was like :astonished:

I joking asked the couple in front of me, “Is that cash they’re using?”
Playing along she said, “Yeah, I think so.”

QR code menus seemed to be a thing during the height of Covid, when touching an actual menu was thought to be risky and restaurants didn’t want to have to provide throwaway paper ones. We don’t eat out all that much but I haven’t seen a QR on a table in maybe 6 months.

Most people seem to be on their smartphones constantly anyway, so I don’t think it would be all that big a deal if they rose in use. Given the choice, though, I’d be on the Saran side too.

Well, last time I checked, US paper currency was still stamped with “For all debts, public and private”.

Not sure of the legal basis for, e.g., airlines, refusing to accept cash on flights. I suppose it comes down to who’s willing to enforce the law.

There is no federal law that requires business accept cash.

Just because all US dollars is legal tender does not, in and of itself, make it a requirement that businesses accept it as a form of payment.

3 Likes

Was talking to an attendant years ago on a late and mostly empty flight. She said trying to count (and keeps change in close quarters with snotty, demanding passengers on a tight schedule with someone always needing to get by to pee made it a nightmare.

One of the few instances that I can totally see why they don’t take cash.

2 Likes

Interesting. Let’s posit a circumstance where an airline passenger orders, accepts and drinks a cocktail aloft, has cash, but no credit card or means of e-payment.

How does the airline collect? Do they sue? If they obtain a judgment, can they refuse to accept cash payment in satisfaction? I doubt it. If they try, I think the judgment cannot be otherwise enforced.

Here in Portland there was/were a couple three places in the past oh 5 years that announced debit card only policies. One was a food truck. I thought good luck with that. I’m not against no cash. The utility of all electronic payment is apparent to managers. No more counting up the day’s receipts, making up the deposit slip & running it over to the night drop. Just sit at the PC & hit the transfer button. Probably save 30 min at least. We’ll have a cashless society sooner or later.

OTOH, no cash sends a “You’re not welcome here” message. “Don’t trust anyone over 30!”

1 Like

This. Tell me you’re too busy to accept my cash, and I say you’re too busy for my patronage. I mean, paying cash isn’t like weighing out gold dust…

1 Like

The flight attendants carry card readers when they wheel the drink/food carts around. You pay before anything is delivered to you. No credit card, no dice.

2 Likes

Bingo.

Flight attendants, and by implication, airlines are not stupid.

I went to pick up my vehicle and pulled out my wallet to pay in cash.
I had strange looks shot my way because the dealership doesn’t accept cash due to the risk of receiving counterfeit money.
So I had to pull out my plastic.

A lot of businesses here in the Bay Area, especially SF, started moving to a “no cash payments” policy even before the pandemic. They had to pass a law to force them to take cash, because it’s discriminatory against people who for whatever reason aren’t able to have credit cards. For example, when my wife first moved to the US from her home country, she couldn’t get a credit card because she had no established credit history in the US.

2 Likes

Their system is not set up for a cash payment. I guess with the debit credit cards they feel that’s another option.
I was surprised that they didn’t want to take my money yet wasn’t going to argue because I had other means to pay.

It would have to take an awful lot of people to complain for them to change their policy.
There is a way to accommodate someone who only has cash but personally, I wouldn’t be very comfortable choosing that option.

1 Like

Am I understanding this correctly? I thought it was the "younger than me " (and really…who isn’t younger than me?) folk who don’t plan for cash. I’m thinking Apple and Google pay, rather than credit cards, but maybe it’s the same… I don’t know. I don’t use either.

Isn’t it a riot that 20 somethings think of 30 somethings as old & untrustworthy? :laughing: Gawd if only I were 30 again (40 years ago) & know what I know now…

Restaurants, pubs, diners that have cash only policies will have an ATM (with some ungodly fee) parked near the door for the cashless.

I think that in our current society both cash & debit is needed & cutting out either just sends a potential customer elsewhere.

2 Likes

Indeed. We have had to add a half dozen payment apps for our small business because we never want to give someone a reason to not buy from us

1 Like

Nobody prefers reading a menu on a small phone screen when you can have a menu on paper.

But, a QR code menu can be a godsend when a restaurant is understaffed - as seems to often be the case these days. It just takes away needing to ask for a menu, so when the waiter first introduces himself to you, you can already give him your order.

This works especially well in casual restaurants and bars. Bonus points if you can order directly from the QR menu - no need for a waiter at all.

In an environment where you’d want more peace and quiet, eg an upscale restaurant, I’d definitely prefer and expect a paper menu. So far, I’ve never seen QR menus in these types of places, apart from a wine list on an ipad (which I don’t like!).

I have yet to find a restaurant that has the capability to order from a QR menu.

I consider it a good day if the page actually loads in a legible fashion.

1 Like

That’s too bad.

In contrast, I was at a restaurant a month ago (in Amsterdam, Europe) where ordering from a QR menu worked very well.

We were with a group of friends, starting out having drinks and then at some point ordering food. It’s very convenient as every individual can also order for themselves, eg when new people join, or when others drink faster than you. Again, the big advantage is not having to interact with a waiter, saving time not having to wave waiters over.

I’m sure there was an outcry when merchants stopped taking pigs and chickens for payments, but somehow commerce has survived. Consumers will adapt because they have to. People do say no cash rules are unfair for poor folks who can’t get a credit card, but since anyone can now go to Walmart and get a debit card that will work anywhere, that argument is falling by the wayside. And along those lines, people who receive nutrition benefits have had apparently few problems transitioning from paper food stamps to card payments. You can take your business elsewhere was long as you want, it’s just that soon you’ll be running out of elsewheres.

2 Likes