Portland and Biddeford tasting menus + more (review)

I like this thinking, and while I enjoy atmophere, it doesn’t have to be over the top for my enjoyment.

2 Likes

Being from Northern Virginia, I too avoid Asian in Maine – one exception, Pai Men Miyake, where I had some fishies I had never even heard of, from their special Tokyo Fish Market list.

I like Scratch bagels! Totally different creature from NY bagels such as Ess-A. Before the pandemic killed it, 158 Pickett Street was a regular stop (same bagels as Scratch, essentially, with a water view).

Holy Donuts must be eaten when fresh (as in within an hour of being baked). After that, just a massive gut bomb.

My Maine focus is always seafood – lobster rolls (and the underrated crab rolls), fried clams, raw oysters, grilled fish… oh, and pizza too! Maine has some great renditions.

You should try Terlingua at least once! It’s superb.

1 Like

Scratch bagels are closer to a Montreal style bagel than New York. Not quite either, it’s somewhere in between. I agree with the Holy Donut rec. Fresh is the way to go with them, though I’ve had Tony’s donuts and they are quite good, as is Congdon’s another Maine classic shop. I miss when Rob still owned Hugo’s. I’ve had some good meals there after the change in ownership, but nothing as transcendent as when Rob was still cooking.

1 Like

Made it to Twelve as a Saturday 5pm walk-in foursome. Seated outside on the terrace, an incredibly warm November evening. Adults are definitely in charge. My SO had a savory martini flavored with kelp that was awesome. “Chips and dips” with the optional trout roe were an indulgence- hard to know how they could make chips so thin and light and have them remain intact. Kabocha squash was a winner app, the mushroom, halibut, and steak mains all just so. The chocolate pudding is not to be missed. Wow.

8 Likes

We can’t wait to get to try Twelve. No idea when we’ll get there, but we will.

1 Like