PORTIONS In Usa verses Portions in Spain

Yeah, there’s definitely no social pressure about weight in America.

Wait a minute… :rofl:

Perhaps one part of the difference is that while both have social pressure, the way it’s applied is not the same. There might be less social opportunity in Japan to say “F you, so I’m fat, mind your own business”, just for an example.

Part of it definitely is that in America the social pressures about weight form a small part of a huge tangle of mixed messages. Either the message is more uniform and un-mixed in Japan, or some of the Japanese mixed messages are different ones.

Then I’m not sure why you’re arguing with me in the first place, since I said pretty much the same thing.

1 Like

It’s a popular place with ex-pats I understand (mainly because of price). But almost all of the other customers were local guys obviously just eating during their lunch break from work.

1 Like

Nope. Great Britain.

That’s the United Kingdom, without the Northern Ireland part. England, Scotland & Wales.

Identity is important. These things define who I am. Depending on circumstances, I’m European, a Briton from northwest England, Mancunian And Cestrian. And always a Manchester City fan.

2 Likes

So Selling England by the Pound and there will always be an England are not correct?
This boy from Kansas is confused :slight_smile:

May or may not be depending on the speaker and context. They speak from a precisely defined point of view.

Not half as this boy from Cheshire is confused.

I may be missing something but I don’t understand how an album title (I had to Google that bit) and the title of a song from 1939 can be “correct” or incorrect. If you can explain further what you intended the question to mean, I’ll try and answer. Maybe it’s another of those transatlantic things and “correct” has a different connotation on your side than on mine. :slightly_smiling_face:

Aaaaaand that’s why I try not to assume.

Everyone else probably understood this, but this is a summary of what was clarified for me in the article I linked yesterday.

• London is the capital of England.
  • England is a country.
  • Britain is an area that consists of England and the country of Wales.
  • Great Britain is the name of the island that is home to the countries of England, Wales, and Scotland.
  • The United Kingdom (UK) is a country that is a union of the countries on the island of Great Britain, along with the country of Northern Ireland (which shares the island of Ireland with the Republic of Ireland.)
  • The Republic of Ireland is a separate country that is not part of the UK.(Oh boy, was rhere an earful about that history in the comments section!
  • London is also the capital of the UK.
2 Likes

I read some story about a socal networking campaign that was motivated by one companies really offensive size labels. Much more offensive than “big and tall” and “plus sizes”.

This isn’t the spin I read years ago, but it was also interesting.

1 Like

That’s why I love this board! There is always so many new and interesting facts to learn!!

1 Like

Good summary.

Think of the four nations of the UK in the same way as you might think of American states. Not identical, of course. But I suspect most Americans would be a tad peeved if Britons kept referring to the USA as Kansas. It is the same for us when Americans refer to our country as England (particularly if you happen to be Welsh)

2 Likes

Lest we forget the last time they tried to popularize Kansas.

1 Like

When you say “it is the same for us”, do you mind saying which country you are speaking for, or did I miss that?

I have not yet looked up Mancunian and Cestrian, and know as much as I need to know about ManU from my-son-the-soccer-fan who greatly prefers FC BCN.

1 Like

I think you probably missed it. But, just in case not, our country is the UK. Or, to be formal The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It’s a name the country adopted when the Republic of Ireland was formed in 1921. It’s four elements - England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales - are usally referred to as separate “nations”, whereas the whole is the country.

Mancunian - strictly, someone from the city of Manchester but often used about the metro area.

Cestrian - someone from the county of Cheshire

PS: I also prefer Barcelona to ManU. Ask any Manchester City FC supporter and you’ll probably be told the same. We’re very tribal about our football in this part of the world.

2 Likes

I see. And I was beginning to think I understood.

1 Like

Are you an American? Is it so different there - in having different identities? Would soemone not think of themselves, at different times, as an American and also a Virginian? And, again, as someone from Staunton? That’s a lovely town - I enjoyed our brief time thre - and some nice food.

And how do the Isle of Man and the Channel Isles fit into this?

1 Like

That is an interesting linguistic subtlety of which I was not aware. To me (an American), the words “country” and “nation” are absolutely synonymous and completely interchangeable.

As for this question, yes, I would say most Americans identify both as “American” and (possibly more strongly) as being from a specific state/city or geographical area of the US. Most people who live in NYC identify strongly as New Yorkers (city, not state) - this seems most common when you are from either a very large city or from a city that has very different cultural characteristics from the rest of the state (for instance, my BIL identifies as a Chicagoan, but would probably not refer to himself as an Illinoisian). People from southern states like North and South Carolina, Georgia, etc. frequently identify as Southerners rather than necessarily as being specifically from one of those states (that is my experience of them as a Northerner, though - they may be more exacting about it when talking to others from other parts of the South).

Please remove- redundant.

I’m not sure who you are asking, but I think of myself as African-American, which to me means a Black person of African descent in the US for several generations, usually via slavery . This is different from my husband, who is Caribbean- American, born in Jamaica, his children the first in his family to be born here.

The perspective is more different than some people appreciate.

I also consider myself from NYC, where I grew up, but I have now been in California for about half of my life.

2 Likes