Pix rotated 90 degrees on mobile, fine on laptop

Here is the photo you sent me. Lemmeno if it still does not display properly.

It’s fine on both phone (in Safari) and laptop. I think what I called cropped before (when I tested it in Chrome) was just that I was holding the phone upright.

Ok… not sure what is going on here. Your original posted photo was WAY smaller than what I just posted (what you emailed me). Any ideas why this would be?

Guessing whatever scaled it also FU’d the orientation/cropping.

it’s not new.
Microsoft decided to do us all a favor and magically rotate pictures so they display “right” (most of the time…) on your screen.
no clue what Apple OS systems do - but Apple frequently follows the lemmings over the cliff, so could be the same.

for Windows types, Irfanview is freeware - which will display the photo in it’s native format - landscape left/right or upside down… - and allow you to rotate the photo and save in the same directory - so when it’s uploaded, it appears correct.

cell phone cameras have their own ideas about orientation - directly uploading from a cell phone is dicey business…

I sent you a full-size version because I forgot I resized it earlier? And the resized version wouldn’t be on my phone - I would’ve downloaded the picture to my laptop and resized it there before uploading.

Full size=fine… resized not so much. What you resized it with is most likely the issue.

one could inquire as to how the HO software handles it, but a lot of fori software automatically ‘resizes’ photos when uploaded.

in the past one had to ‘pre-size’ photos - I have rafts of imgXXXs.jpg - the s denoting “small” - there is one place which, I dimly recall…, still bleeps you with “Error, image too large”

But! We already tested uploading from my phone to HO on Safari. That image would not have been resized. It still rotated and compressed.

Sure, but that’s not the issue. The issue is that the image rotates and its aspect ratio goes off.

Testing my theory.

Oh! Okay, this worked - both phone and laptop show the true image. So it’s the resizing that confuses the software, but only when the image is displayed on the phone. Which is stupid, according to me.

no.
if you get software that allows you to see the EXIF information of the image, you’ll learn the orientation is defined there.
if the forum software simply uses the EXIF specified orientation, things go wonky.

so the key is to open, orient, save the image in the desired orientation so the EXIF data works universally.

I don’t think I changed the orientation of the image (although I may have). Still curious about the aspect ratio.

A few seconds ago on ios and safari.

I often have the same problem, let’s see how things post today .,.

iphone via bing

Nope, correct orientation today both portrait and landscape :thinking:

And the first images re-sized - @small_h I think you’re onto something!

2 Likes

I think it’s the resizing that’s the issue.

1 Like

I tried to look at the pictures several different ways:

• iphone (ios 15.6.1)/ safari
  • iphone (ios 15.6.1)/ firefox
  • ipad (ipad os 15.6.1)/ safari
  • ipad (ipad os 15.6.1)/ firefox
  • windows 10/ firefox
  • windows 10/ Edge

they are all oriented correctly with the right proportions.

I am guessing it may be due to a specific combination of hardware/ software.

Try resizing before uploading - that seems to be what’s affecting my pix.

I was looking at your WFD pic.

Perhaps the issue has resolved. Or it’s peculiar to the version of IOS I was using (which is not on your list).