[Penang, Malaysia] Modern-Penang cuisine at Gen, Church Street Ghaut

But isn’t it half of the enjoyment, though? For me, at lease. The eye/camera eats first. Eating involves more than just the sense of taste.

If I were to be a regular I would get on their mailing list. They would shoot me a mail when they change the menu.

1 Like

Yup, and my trusty little digicam was a bit busier than usual last night, as my dinner partner and I were the only customers in the restaurant. So, I could take quite a few photos without having to worry about being a nuisance to others. :joy:

:camera: :joy::joy:

1 Like

The “presentation” here was/is gorgeous!

1 Like

Yup, one of those places where the prep chef in-charge of plating needed to use tweezers! :joy:

I remembered that the very first time I came across such finesse and detail in presentation was at L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon in Roppongi Hills, Tokyo, back in 2005. My tomato soup came in a martini glass - dotted with tiny drops of basil oil which ran along the periphery of the glass, and which seemed to have been meticulously applied using a syringe! :joy:

2 Likes

I got a small package of the Sarawak peppercorn here, indeed, powerful and spicy notes, I like it nearly as much as the Kampot peppercorn which is a tad more fruity.

Very lovely meal, impressive plating. A lot of work cooking for 1 table though. LOL.

Does Gēn mean root?

1 Like

Sometime last year, a friend who’s based in Sarawak (he’s lecturing at a university there) sent a kilogram of the said pepper to us here in West Malaysia. We sub-divided his gift between the 5 of us, and I still have mine sitting in the cupboard unused after 6 months!
Kind of reminded me of this Michael McIntyre skit:

Yes, the owners named it as such to pay homage to their “culinary roots”, so to speak.

1 Like

We were back at Gēn two evenings ago, to try out its latest seasonal menu. Chef Patron, Johnson Wong, 32, is the 2024 MICHELIN Guide to Kuala Lumpur and Penang’s Young Chef award-winner, and with good reason. The restaurant is 6.5 years old now, which means Johnson started helming it in his mid-20s.

Johnson remains the clean-cut, earnest and staid personality that he is: no tattoos, no intentionally messed up or tinted hair, no earrings or pierced body parts. He still speaks like a veteran Chef Patron - pragmatic and serious.

Johnson’s creations have always been like little micro-gardens, complex-flavored, yet subtly familiar and reassuring to the Asian palate.

Johnson taps upon local herbs and condiments like ginger flower, red beancurd, ulam raja, daun kesum and many more to formulate and concoct his dishes.

Our dinner that evening:

1. Tamarind | Mackerel | Peppermint

1. Kesom | Oyster | Kelulut Honey

1. Luncheon Meat | Caviar | Red Beancurd

1. Shad Fish | Fish Maw | Ayer Itam Ginger

1. Mantis Prawn | Mussel | Buah Kulim - cloaked by a nasturtium leaf, this truffle-like seafood dish was delish. As always, with something that tastes this good, one can never get enough.
    I wished the dish was twice as much.

1. Petai | Tempeh | Banana Leaf

1. Beef | Buah Keluak | White Corn - this dish was an absolute triumph: the buah keluak imparted an intoxicating fragrance and flavor on the perfectly-cooked steak, whilst the white corn-infused sauce imparted a subtle, haunting milky-richness to the accompanying sauce. I can sit here and eat this forever.

1. Flower Crab | Papaya Beancurd | Seaweed

Desserts
9) Strawberry | Ginger Flower | Tomato - this is really one of the best-tasting desserts I’d had in recent times. I’d come back just for this.

1. Vanilla | Goat Milk | Jackfruit

1. Pineapple | Soy Sauce | Pandan Coconut

Johnson’s cooking has matured well in the last few years - his trademark-style: complex, subtle flavors, are still very much the characteristic of his dishes. But they are more impressive nowadays - all delivering a perfect balance of flavors and textures. This is the type of cooking worth making a detour for.

7 Likes

Everything looks so pretty!

1 Like

Oh yes, that whole bunch of kitchen crew with tweezers! They took an extremely meticulous approach towards plating and presentation.