[Penang, Malaysia] Kwang Beef Noodles at Sri Weld Food Court

One of Penang’s most popular Teochew “gu bak koay teow” (beef noodle) spots was the Victoria Street Gu Bak Koay Teow, started by Kang Chew Eam in the 1960s. Kang had learnt his trade from his father, who emigrated to Penang from Swatow, China, right after World War II. Victoria Street is located just one block away from George Town’s busy main financial district on Beach Street and Downing Street.

Nowadays, Kang Chew Eam’s son, Kang Kheng Cheng, has moved their business into Sri Weld Food Court on Beach Street itself, where it’s operated as the Kwang Beef Noodles stall. It’s a rather busy food court on week-day lunch hours during pre-COVID days.

Flat rice noodles, akin to Vietnamese pho are used - blanched together with beansprouts and dressed in garlic oil. Generous amounts of crisp-fried, golden-brown, finely-chopped garlic are spooned over the noodles.
DSC02372

The hearty beef broth contained beef balls, sliced beef shin, beef tendon, and tripe - all cooked till very tender.

Address
Kwang Beef Noodles (光祖传牛肉粿条)
Sri Weld Food Court, 3a, Weld Quay, 10300 George Town, Penang.
Tel: +6016-421 4435
Operating hours: 9.30am to 3pm Mon to Fri. Closed on Sat & Sun.

5 Likes

Due to the current COVID lockdown where no dining-in are allowed at any eatery and food court, we went to Kwang Beef Noodles for some take-outs at lunch today.

An eerily empty Sri Weld Food Court at 12 noon today - most banks and offices roster their staff and 70% are working from home at the moment.

For comparison’s sake, Sri Weld Food Court during lunch-time - pre-COVID lockdown in Sep 2020

Anyhoo, Sri Weld Food Court is less than 20-minutes’ drive from my apartment, so the noodles and soups (packed separately) were all still warm when we got home:

4 Likes

can you comment on how that’s typically eaten? does one pour the broth into the bowl of noodles & beef? or drink broth separately from the ‘dry’ items?
All looks Delish anyhow!!

Typically, the noodles and meats will be served in the same big bowl with the beef broth itself - that’s the preference by 80% or more diners. It’s akin to Vietnamese pho beef noodles soup.

I’m one of those on the “other” side, i.e. who prefer their noodles served “dry” (actually dressed in garlic oil & a bit of fish sauce), with the beef broth and meats on the side. These are usually eaten concurrently anyway.

A Vietnamese friend of mine said it’s called “pho kho” in Vietnam, where the noodles and broth are served separately.

1 Like

I love dry as well for all these dishes. I am foolishly trying to limit carb intake here.

Will have to try this spot soon. Sri Weld was truly awesome the few times I visited pre-lockdown.

1 Like