[Penang, Malaysia] Home-cooking during the COVID-19 Lockdown

Have to say, different varieties had never occured to me. Bananas are bananas - although now I know they’re not.

A quick Google tells me the Cavendish represents 99% of all bananas traded internationally.

2 Likes

John, come to Singapore/Malaysia and taste the “Pisang Raja” - its Malay name translates literally as “King of Bananas”. Its texture, taste and fragrance set it above all other types of bananas - once you have had the “Pisang Raja”, which is the most prized genre here. Once you’ve had it, you’ll never want to go back to any other types of banana. :joy:

BTW, I just came across this new genre when I moved to Penang in 2017 - a specie of tiny bananas cultivated on Penang Hill. In Penang, it’s grown only up the hill which has to be reached via a funicular hill railway train. Unbelievably sweet and aromatic - the frustrating thing is, they are so tiny, you probably needed to eat a dozen at a go, which meant a LOT of peeling!

I Googled and surmised that, from the description on the Web, it’s probably the Lady Finger Banana:

3 Likes
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold