[Penang, Malaysia] Cantonese roast meats and curried noodles from ๐—ฅ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—๐—ถ, Carnarvon Street

Iโ€™d been searching for good char-siew (BBQ caramelised pork), siew yoke (crispy-skinned roast pork) and siew ngap (Cantonese-style roast duck) in Penang for years, but never could find a good one, at least those which reached the standards of good ones in Kuala Lumpur or even Ipoh. My search was over when I came across Rong Ji, a fairly new set-up on the corner of Carnarvon Street and Carnarvon Lane: juicy, perfectly-marinated char-siew, melt-in-the-mouth siew yoke with wafer-crisp crackling skin, and roast duck with the right flavours and texture.

Char siew in the foreground

Siew yoke in the foreground

Siew ngap (roast duck)

Run by KL-born Hakka, Sam Lee Yoong Yaw, 54, and his Penangite wife (sheโ€™s also Hakka), the roast meats he offered were simply a class above those Iโ€™d tasted anywhere else on the island!

Sam Lee also prepares very tasty curry mee, which paired perfectly with his roast meats. My food find in George Town for this year at the moment.

Good Vietnamese drip coffee also served there.

Rong Ji operates 7.30am to 2.30pm, Tuesday to Sunday.

Address
Rong Ji ( ่ฃ่ฎฐ)
155, Lebuh Carnarvon, 10100 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Opening hours: 7.30am to 2.30pm

7 Likes

wow, that looks good!

1 Like

Man, that looks like great piggy.

1 Like

Agreed, was the best I have had on Penang. Great find!

1 Like

Back to Rong Ji for my curried noodles and Cantonese-style roasted meats this morning.

This was actually KL-style curry mee, but localized to suit the Penang palate. The chef, Sam Lee, is a KL-born Hakka from Cheras. His char-siew (Cantonese-style caramelized BBQ pork) and siew-yoke (Cantonese-style crackling-skinned roast pork) are peerless here in Penang: really KL-standard.

Char-siew - Cantonese-style caramelized BBQ pork
DSC01158

Siew-yoke - Cantonese-style crackling-skinned roast pork

Sam Lee made sure his curry mee has the distinctive Penang flavor profile, in order to attract the clientele here: more liquid, slightly sweet to offset the savoury element, not too aggressively spicy. So, it just looked like KL-style curry mee (down to its inclusion of long beans), but tasted 100% like Penang-style curry mee, ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ด the pigโ€™s blood cubes.

One can also opt for Hakka-style noodles - similar in appearance to Cantonese wantan noodles, but more springy as Hakkas love their food quite chewy compared to the other Southern Chinese. Hakka-style noodles are usually dressed very simply with pork lard, shallot oil and salt.

5 Likes

Now I wish we have breakfasts like this on our side of the world!

1 Like

I skipped lunch just now! Breakfast was a bit more substantial than Iโ€™d envisaged. :joy:

1 Like

Popped into Rong Ji at lunch today, to get a quick update on its offerings. Cantonese roast meats served with curried noodles - no one else in Penang comes close to his unique offering here:

Sam Lee, owner-chef at Rong Ji still does the best char siew (Cantonese-style caramelised BBQ pork) in George Town.

Samโ€™s โ€œsiew yokeโ€ (crackling-skinned roast pork) is also one of the very best, although quite a few other roasters (Old Soon Kee on Burmah Road, the Cantonese BBQ stall in Old Winston food court, etc.) do versions that are as good, if not better.

But only Sam serves these wonderful roast meats atop curried noodles here in Penang (unlike in Kuala Lumpur or Ipoh), so we still need to make a trip down here to satisfy our cravings.

6 Likes