[Penang, Malaysia] ๐—Ÿ๐—ฎ ๐—ฉ๐—ถ๐—ฒ ๐—˜๐—ป ๐—ฅ๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—ฃรข๐˜๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜€๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฒ, Malay Street (corner with Fish Lane)

I see! Class! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Day 65 of the Malaysian Movement Control Order (MCO) 3.0 Lockdown. 484 days since MCO began on 18 Mar 2020. Tea-time treats today are from La Vie En Rose Pรขtisserie. Husband-and-wife team, Gauvain & Evon Neyl, still produce the best French pastries on the island.

Beignets filled with raspberry crรจme (left) and matcha/green tea crรจme (right)

Croissant aux amandes (left) and pain aux raisins (right)

I particularly loved the frangipane filling, which added a sugary-almondy sweetness to the croissant.

3 Likes

Looks so good, the viennoiseries!! :croissant:

How are vaccinations going on your side of the world? I see the trend in Asia not so good with the Delta variation, even the impenetrable Taiwan got some cases.

1 Like

Malaysians have started to wake up to the need to get vaccinated - from being one of the slowest countries in the world in terms of vaccination rate, to become one of the fastest - double the rate of Australiaโ€™s, for example: 400,000 doses given out per day. Iโ€™d received my vaccination, and so did almost everyone I know around me. Malaysia targets for 40% of its population to be vaccinated by end-Aug, and 60% by end-Sep.

The Delta variant is making life very hard for everyone - people are suffering from COVID-fatigue after 1.5 years. We just want to get our (normal) lives back, though itโ€™s anybodyโ€™s guess when thatโ€™ll happen.

2 Likes

Exactly. Good to know Malaysia is vaccinating.

Iโ€™ve heard in places like Indonesia the lack of medical equipment and vaccines. Here, to avoid another lockdown with the arrival of Delta variant, there will be an obligation from mid August onwards to show a vaccine certificate when one will be entering bars and restaurants (and other placesโ€ฆ).

Are restaurants open right now for take out?

2 Likes

Yes, restaurants are allowed to do take-outs. But many restaurateurs are still hurting, as their businesses have gone down by 85% or more, in most cases.

Malaysia hopes to vaccinate 70% to 80% of the populace by the end of the year. We have a populace of 32 million here: about 29 million citizens/permanent residents, and 3 million foreigners - not a big number to vaccinate compared to other countries in the region.

Do keep safe! You have received both your jabs already?

Thanks!! Keep safe for you and family as well!

Yes 2 doses since mid June. Although I still see quarantine required for many countries for entries. Traveling is not the same anymore.

1 Like