Patio Season [Toronto] [Ontario]

Went to Marked for a repeat visit. We were the only ones on the patio and the heaters were definitely not on (we had winter coats, ear muffs, and long underwear). Cocktails remain excellent and the food is very good overall. The patio closes for the season this week.

Cocktails:
74AAC7C1-D18B-4791-B227-3373C6281A9B

• Adios, Mon Ami (top) - sombra mezcal, St Germain, cocchi americano, lime leaf, lemon, absinthe, orange and juniper bitters - green and delicious
  • Birds of Paradise (bottom) - Tanqueray flor de Sevilla gin, Martini Fiero, pink peppercorn, tropical tea, lemon, sparkling wine, clingstone peach bitters - peachy coloured, nice and tasty, in fact more addictive over time

Free snacks with drinks:

• Beef cheek, cheese, olive, piri piri dressing (like a mini empanada) - flaky pastry and a sauce with good kick.

• Baby shrimp with cucumber, avocado - simple and light.

• Marked Ceviche - mahi mahi, avocado, sweet potato, Peruvian corn, Leche de Tigre - just as good as last time, with a melding of supple, crunch, sour; sweet potato chips were a bit oily though.

• Churrasco chicken thighs, pistachio herb stuffing, annatto oil - tasty, nice and moist , good chunky pistachio filling (three wrapped thighs, medium sized)

• Corn ribs, whipped queso fresco, piri piri sauce, chipotle lime salt, and fresh lime - lots of fun but really a finger food - a bit messy, also very sweet.

• Octopus tostadas: crispy tortilla, avocado, charred jalapeño, salsa Criolla, cilantro crema - octopus a little overcooked, but nice flavours.

• Guasacaca: Venezuelan avocado dip, crispy tortilla, queso salt - very salty chips, more oily than guacamole, nice garlic kick.

• Brazilian coconut rice: goji berries, shaved coconut, chives - sweet, like dessert
1 Like

As patio season wanes, we went to Tiflisi in the Beach for our second meal there. Food remains very good and we tried different dishes than on our first visit.

For wine we ordered a bottle of Rkatsiteli Qvevri 2019 by Rtvelisi - nice and a little of the caramelised / butterscotch taste, but just not the same as the Koncho we had on the previous visit.

• Kupati Imeruli - stewed beef and pork “variety” meats (we could identify liver and kidney at least) seasoned with Georgian spices - rich flavours and accented with pomegranate.

• Khachapuri Rachuli - we had actually ordered one with cheese and egg, but this came by mistake. We kept it so as not to waste and it was very good, with chewy bread and delicious beans.

• Kharcho - boiled beef tomato soup seasoned with Georgian spices - tender chunks of beef, lotsa garlic, and good black pepper kick, with more great bread.

• Chakhohbili - duck stew with walnuts served with rice on the side - duck was not cooked long enough to fall off the bone and was cut in random pieces, making it challenging to eat; too bad because the walnut sauce/stew was delicious.

• Lamb Khinkali - soup dumplings with lamb filling - hefty dumplings, with a nice chewy wrapper and broth and ground meat inside; nice, though not quite as good as the beef and pork ones.

• had the grape pudding for dessert again as it was our favourite last time; very grapey and a bit like a thick flan in terms of texture.
2 Likes

The Caledonian’s patio is open today! the Caledonian’s Patio on Instagram

2 Likes

Hoping many more will follow.

1 Like

Lapinou is now showing outdoor tables on Open Table.

2 Likes

Fratelli Village Pizzeria has opened their patio for the year. I, for one, couldn’t be more excited. Hands down the best Italian restaurant in Scarborough. I plan on spending enough time there with my GF’s they’ll need to put a plaque on my chair.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

@shrinkrap, this is probably the last time I ordered novel tacos in Toronto. I have had some good birrea and carnitas tacos from Mexican-run shops since then. I basically focus on 2 cheap taquerias.

1 Like