[Paris] Some thinking about our last meals and French food scene

That seems like a judicious amount…

Half way there already.

1 Like

Made it to 64 or 65. Three were grilled, do they count? And one was bad, so I spit it out. Does it count?

1 Like

That’s really problematic. If someone new to bivalves gets a bad oyster/clam/mussel will it turn them off to shellfish?

Where did you have those 64 or 65? :yum:

Pleine Mer, Le Vent d’Armor, Baron Rouge, Bar à Iode.

1 Like

It’s the first time it ever happened to me, but my wife got a bad oyster last year in Paris. She hardly touches them since then.

@bcc

When you have time, please talk more about the good (or bad) meals you had in Paris, very interested to know! :grin:

I’ll put it up tomorrow!

1 Like

So here is the rundown of our Paris eating. The places we enjoyed the most were L’Arcane, Le Vent d’Armor, La Condesa, and Alliance. i already wrote about Condesa. L’Arcane still delighted us, but not, perhaps, as much as last year. The first visit was mind-blowing; the second had to contend with the memories of the first. In any case, we and the friends who accompanied us are all looking forward to a return visit next year. Le Vent d’Armor was fabulous. I had 3 starters: oysters, razor clams (couteaux), and ormeaux (abalone). They were all fantastic. Two of the friends we went with are regular visitors, so we were received with much warmth. Alliance served us a delightful lunch, everything perfectly cooked. We wanted to revisit Montée, but we couldn’t get a reservation.

We tried Chinese dumplngs in a number of places: M + Y Savor, Hang a Li, Le Temple Celeste, 21G, but the best by far were at Les Délices de Shandong, identified by their sign at the entrance as Traiteur de Shandong. This was really excellent Chinese cooking, as good or even better than much of what we had in New York.

We enjoyed the yakitori at Le Rigmarole, but my wife was put off by the way all our clothes smelled afterwards. And we enjoyed the oysters and the friendly wine prices at Bar à Iode.

Places that we visited but were not wild about: Coretta, La Ferrandaise, Baieta, Sellae. They were all good, but not exciting.

Good standards without excitement: Saveurs d’Asie Gao Thom and Le Petit Pontoise.

Disappointing: Hugo & Co. Hugo has two seatings, 19:00 and 21:15. If the seven o’clock guests are not quite finished by nine fifteen, Hugo does not throw them out. This is entirely correct. But it means that the nine fifteen guests have to wait outside until the tables are free. This is not correct. The business with the two seatings is ridiculous. Aside from that, the noise level was high and we did not especially enjoy the food.

Sandwiches: We tried sandwiches at ChezAline and Bagnard. We were disappointed. At ChezAline there was a line of people out the door. So we waited for about 10 minutes until we got in. I took a sandwich with veal tongue and sauerkraut, my wite took one with feta, carrots and guacamole. We didn’t especially like either one. But I gave the repackaged half of the veal sandwich to a beggar in the area, and he was glad to receive it.

Bagnard was another story entirely. We tried to go to the Saint-Augustin location on a Saturday. It was closed. There was a sign saying that we should visit the location on rue Saintonge. Open Mo-Fr. So we went on Monday. It was closed on Mondays. We returned a few days later and had their tuna pan bagnat. We were underwhelmed. On the day we left we bought a tuna sandwich at the boulangerie at Maubert - Mutualité to eat in the train. We enjoyed it more than the special pan bagnat at Bagnard.

1 Like

From the few comments I gather, everybody was not excited with Hugo and Co. Tomy and Co seems a better deal and no 2 seatings. I remembered reserving the 19:30 service years ago with another restaurant, and was rushed by the restaurant the whole meal. (Friends arrived late at 20:30 because of work etc, no fun at all.)

Thanks for the head up for Le Rigmarole and Les Délices de Shandong (But wait, NY is not a standard of comparison, you should choose a Chinese city!).

Bar à Iode has been on my list, but which one 5th or 11th?

Sellae, I will only go if I want a budget lunch and was in the area. LOL. I don’t remember who raved about Coretta, I guess those CH guys.

For the French restaurants, one remark, most of the more satisfying places you have visited, they got 1 star: L’Arcane, Alliance and Montée. I think Condesa will get it next year.

Years ago my sister-in-law was living in Hong Kong and she introduced us to dim sum. We fell in love immediately. Then we spent a few days in Canton and ate in a restaurant that specialized in dim sum. Their dim sum put Hong Kong to shame. But New York is the only
point of comparison I have these days.

The Bar à Iode we went to was in the 5th. We stay in the 5th and like to go to places we can walk to.

Did you tried this dish lièvre à la royale in your recent trips? If yes, which place do you recommend? (or good place for game meats?)

We had it a few years ago at place that was called Le Pré Verre on rue Thenard. I thought the meat was somewhat dry. Le Pré Verre has been replaced by L’Invitée, apparently under the same ownership, but a bit more expensive.

I had several meals there, the meal under the brothers Delacourcelle were the better ones. Love their touch with spice. After, they sold the place and went to Japan. Now one of them returned has opened Le Vitis.

Any good recommendations for game meats? Since you are expert eating in November!

For anyone interested.

David Bizet won the first world champion for this royal hare dish in 2016 @ le Orangerie, George V. He has left le Orangerie in July 2018, now his second Alan Taudon took over, with the supervision of Christian Le Squer (le Cinq). The dish is still present à la carte 57€ .

David Boyer, won the 2018 competition, the dish is 58€ @ Les 110 de Taillevent.
N.B. David Bizet left le Orangerie for Taillevent in 2018.

Au Bascou is famous for this dish, it has 2 portion sizes 25€ or 50€.

I know Pottoka makes this dish too.

Now my face is red, because I cannot recall with certainty. But I believe that one of the courses at L’Arcane was game.

I’m a bit confused. Are you talking about l’Empire du Ravioli?

Because Delices de Shandong seems to be different the look. (from their website) Yelp said the restaurant is closed.

photo_2010_02_19_16_00_06_363

photo_2010_02_19_17_22_44_481

I think I understand a bit more now. l’Empire du Ravioli takes the same place of ex Délices de Shandong, but why the website still uses the old name is beyond wonder.

What did you eat there? What is your recommendations?