Paris: recs for solo dining, preferably at the bar?

It is located right above the blue “UGC” on the upper right quadrant of the map which is = to about two blocks from the station entrance.

Thanks. Good to know the place is outside the gare, will give a try given the occasion. Once I’ve booked a lab test for H in the early covid days inside Montparnasse, it was a nightmare to locate the place inside the station!

This sounds like a place I would love. My vegan-leaning travel companions, not so much! I think will probably stick with Crepes before the train - if you have a favorite Creperie, would love to hear.

Mme Mangeur ! (insert exaggerated stern tone). Gasp. I’m shocked that such a seasoned visitor to France would so easily slide into the awful American habit of citing streets in Paris without the rue, boulevard, avenue, etc. Consider yourself spanked. (For others, just having fun with pilgrim).

Are you sure there is an Urfa Durum near Gare Montparnasse ? I’ve never noticed it and am in the area often. Admittedly there seems to be a rapid turnover of eateries at the intersection rue Rennes/ bd Montparnasse. But, as far as I know, you have to go to one of their two restos on the rue Faubourg St Denis in the 10th for their very superior kebabs.

1 Like

Josselin on rue (not boulevard) Montparnasse is often cited as “the best” but, having tried many crêperies over the years in that area, I’d say the differences are mostly insignificant. A few have had very gruff, almost grudging service but I only remember the location, not the names… So, start with Josselin and, if there is a queue, move on to Crêperie Bretonne just across the street.

Or you could punish the vegans by taking them to Aux Produits du Sud Ouest, a temple of foie gras, on the rue Odessa.

3 Likes

That Urfa Duran WAS @ 4 Place du 18 Juan 1940, 75006.

We visited shortly before Covid. Looks like you’re right…as usual. I can’t find its web presence, so probably a Covid victim.

Will pull recommendation. Thanks.

Really sorry about this as they were a good addition to that area.

1 Like

A side note: I grew up in Montreal, and my absolute favorite place to eat as a kid was a restaurant called A la Crepe Bretonne. It was a chain, actually, all with the same Breton-style decor, and an enormous menu with dozens of choices for both sweet and salty crepes. My favorite was the buckwheat (salty) crepe, filled with cheese and apples - a surprisingly delicious combination. Anyhow, I’m looking forward to checking out one of the places near the Gare Montparnasse.

So great to have this topic, and resource for Paris. I am often in Paris seule (young 60s). A coupla thoughts: I have tried Grand Coeur twice solo. Once was okay; the other time a disaster. I walked over (staying also in the Marais) for dinner in the lovely garden after arriving from New York that morning. A little jet-lagged, but happy to have a nice meal and a glass of wine or two. The cute servers were not interested, and completely forgot about me. Brought my main course before my appetizer, then completely forgot about me, and eventually served me really awfully overcooked main. Truly awful. I wouldn’t do it again!

I would add that the tasting menu at L’Arcane is a pleasure (though a lot if you get the big one) alone or in company. The owners (he’s in the kitchen/she’s in the front) had two (!) children in the course of the pandemic, so weren’t around when I went summer of 2021 (baby #2), but back and as welcoming as ever in March.

Clown Bar does indeed have a bar! Hit or miss if anyone is friendly there, though (I feel like I just haven’t cracked the code). Still the wine and snacks are great. Need to reserve regardless.

On a Sunday/Monday when it’s hard to find a decent meal, and for something more traditional, they really do take care of the solo diner nicely at Amarante.

I also like very much the welcome at Le Mazenay (in the Marais), another husband in the kitchen/wife up front duo. And I’ve also enjoyed Le Florimond over the years solo (if you want to get out of the neighborhood).

But lots and lots of excellent suggestions here, and I am excited to try some new (to me spots).

3 Likes

Also, I’m not particularly eager to eat alone. All people seem to stare at me when I eat alone, and I prefer to scroll my phone to avoid all these glances at me.