[Paris] Old fashioned traditional French food

I’ve never been to Chez Janou, but we had some visitors who went two weeks ago and they were very happy with it.

It’s a bit ridiculous for a mushroom hater to order something as mushroom heavy as boeuf bourguignon, innit ? And the other dish that foreigners mistakenly think is typically French, coq au vin, also has loads of mushrooms.

1 Like

Although as a local I only go for a platter of very good oysters now and then, I find Bofinger rather tired, cliché, and the cuisine (other than the very parisian and excellent shellfish) just adequate. Yet, it’s probaby a good option for Sue. The clichés are very tourist-pleasing, it’s been hard hit by the lack of tourists, prices have been lowered to attract more traffic, and it’s a relative bargain at the moment.
But still, I much prefer La Grande Brasserie just across the street… better food, sparkle and vibe. And Bouillon République in the upper 3rd for the incredible value and more fun vibe

2 Likes

I suspect ris de veau/ sweetbreads will be a no-no for you. The texture is indeed a bit strange, soft and unctuous. And often served with morilles (mushrooms). But I love a good ris de veau croustillant.

For precise classic cooking and perhaps one of the best waiters we’ve enjoyed in France, Amarante would be my choice. Yes, the starters are rife with offal, but there is a also lovely soup, charcuterie platter, endive braise and more. The main plates are guaranteed to be quintessential and classic.

2 Likes

Sweetbreads are similar in texture to pan seared foie gras. They are a little sweeter but just as delicious. I urge you to give it a try.

Even as my heart gasps, if they are on the menu I will always order foie gras as my starter and sweetbreads as my main. Too much is never enough!!

3 Likes

Then you need to go to Amarant!

2 Likes

Agreed. A friend asked me for restaurant advice for French food in Paris, I gave her a list of neo bistros, including Paul Bert, l’ami Jean, etc. When we met up, she couldn’t stop telling me her extremely satisfied meal at Bofinger which she has found out from her guide book, and asked me for more places like that. Another friend from UK said she just loved Maxim‘s.

Sometimes it’s nice to come home and tell friends where you dined and have them recognize the name.

1 Like

Talking about famous places, Au Pied de Cochon
even has a postcard service, at the end of your meal, they give you a card so you can write and mail either to yourself or your friends back home. Brilliant I would say!

(Btw, I don’t recommend the place)

I rather like La Tour Montlhéry Chez Denise (Paris 1) portion are extremely generous, also if you want to meet some French politicians. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My one visit to Bistro Paul Bert was my last. My husband’s pork dish was the only bad food we had on our entire trip. Dry, tough. My steak frites were good but hardly worth a special trip. Dessert was a mess. Our aloof server, who spent more time in the restaurant’s other dining room, never brought my tea or husband’s dessert, though he poked his head in several times to say he hadn’t forgotten and they would be out soon. I’m still waiting. The Grand Marnier souffle did arrive and was absolutely flavorless. Zero Grand Marnier. Just sugar. Not worth it. The restaurant was publicly recommended by Ina Garten a U.S. food personality. Victim of its own success.

1 Like

Ouch! When was this?

May 2019, pre-covid.

Sorry to hear that. Another place that falls into this category is le Comptoir restaurant (Odéon), i just don’t quite understand the fuss.

I believe Le Comptoir with Chef Yves Camdeborde was once heavily touted by Anthony Bourdain and it too may be a victim of too much hype. I must say I absolutely adore the stand-up wine bar L’Avant Comptoir du Marché with delicious small plates.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of Paul Bert as of my last visit (about 9-10 years ago), but there was an era before that when I think there was quality to be had there.

Amarante was tremendously popular on CH, yet it’s not a restaurant without controversy. I and my wife have dined there multiple times trying to figure out what others see in it, or perhaps our meals had been exceptional failures, and finally, we’ve given up. We find the food undistinguished and the setting “triste”, and the chef’s predecessor restaurant (Christophe) over in the fifth arrondissement was the same. And we’re not alone, by any means.

Great palates, like great minds, can differ.

1 Like

Although I realize that I post on food boards, I constantly remind myself that I’m not always led by my palate. Especially when I’m a tourist, I’m always glad when I have enough time to explore the recommendations given by those with respected palates (yes, I’m looking at you Pilgrim, parn, onzieme, Jake and now that we’re on HO, naf) AND to go to the places where my palate compromises with (but is not replaced by) my sense of adventure or just love of the Gestalt of a place. Hence, some of my choices like Bofinger – the food was more than good enough for me to enjoy being there. Hard to explain it better than that &, trust me, I know when the intended “compromise” has stretched too far and sacrificed any palate respectability. I won’t mention the 3 or 4 places we went to that met that description.
By the way, we lunched at Le Comptoir and found it thoroughly mediocre, while we spent several afternoons next door at both L’Avants having a great time, eating very appreciated small plates, drinking good wine &, yes, talking with everyone else there doing the same.

3 Likes

Which Paris by Mouth tour are you doing ?