Paris — ‘Fancy’ Lunch/‘Romantic’ Dinner

Paris By Mouth usually posts openings around Christmas/New Year’s. Last year, the list went up Nov. 11, so should be soon!

Thanks Steve for adding to my selection challenge. :face_with_spiral_eyes: I live in the DC area and get to NYC often but the range and value in Paris is phenomenal with interesting new places opening all the time. A week was not enough in March, December it’s 2 weeks, maybe needs to be a month next year!

1 Like

Just getting back to this. I may post later about our recent and stunningly fun dinner at Le Clarence. Yes, fun — not really something we expected at such a vaunted place. But for now I will say, Carole is quite correct, the three course menu contains no meat. But what it does contain is approximately three servings per course. And that doesn’t count the various amuses, and a few other things in between. Our three-course dinner was at least 14 plates (including one extra smoked eel dish sent out by the chef). The other options at dinner were “five”
and “seven” courses. Our fabulous waiters (the staff here really has a great time and works together beautifully) confirmed that the “seven” course dinner is really closer to approximately 21 or 22 plates — and if we had done that, we would’ve been out of commission for the next day! — Jake

Thank you.

Hi again, Paris by Mouth just published their holiday round-up (off-putting headline, but I snagged a table at Granite on Jan. 1.:

1 Like

Thanks ninkat. I just received the Paris By Mouth post in my email. Glad you snagged Granite for Jan 1. We will be flying home that day.
I was able to get a reservation for Christmas Day at the Brasserie Lutetia. It has fair to middling reviews but they have a children’s menu and it is relatively close to the apartment we have rented. The apartment appears to have a very functional kitchen so “eating in” is still an option. We will make a final decision once everyone arrives. Enjoy the holidays in Paris.

Thanks! I am now scoping out Barcelona’s options where I will be for a few days between Christmas and New Year’s! Wishing you a Merry and a Happy!

Kind of a small ‘foodie’ world!! :grinning:
I too am actually doing the same, but in reverse! I have done planning for San Sebastian/Barcelona and am now doing planning for Paris and the outskirts for my upcoming trip.
For Barcelona, lucky enough to snag a table at Disfruta.
As for Paris, after spending over a week eating Western/Spanish food, I have decided to slide in a slot to have some Japanese fusion…Akabeko ( rave reviews that includes 181 Google 5.0/5.0 and 4.9/5.0 The Fork ). For this option, I have eliminated Alliance based on a foodie friend’s recommendation, who just ate there a couple of weeks ago…" chef has some good ideas but needs more time to polish…right now, execution and flavor need better work! "
Still having problems deciding on a 2*…Le Clarence vs Bruno Verjus?!
As for a 3* experience, will avoid the over-priced Paris scene and head out to Reims to try out Assiette Champenoise …initially planning to give Plenitude a try?!
Decisions! Decisions! Decisions! :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :smile: :smile: :smile:

1 Like

I look forward to hearing about Akabeko. I’ve been wanting to try it.

On another note, I’m looking for a “fancy” lunch for my husband’s birthday, Previous years were Le Clarence, which was both fancy and like Jake’s meal, fun. Another year was Le Cinq when they still had a reasonable lunch. Has anyone had lunch at le Taillevent recently?

Once again, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.
I have started putting together my Trip Report here.

I’ll be there, too, at that time. Thanks for posting, ninkat! A few months ago, I pulled up last year’s Paris by Mouth list but it was behind a paywall, so glad to see this is not. We just got back from a trip, so I am way behind in my Paris planning. I’m not too concerned, though - we won’t starve. :blush:

I know this is the Paris thread, but I would be remiss to not recommend Bar Canete in Barcelona - boisterous, delicious, and fun. I still think about the red mullet with the veil of pork.

On my Barcelona list as well!!
For splurge, I was lucky to get a place at Disfruta!!

1 Like

I too know that this is the Paris thread but, since you’re straying, here’s one for you on our home front. The current chef at the Brooklyn branch of Fulgurances (Laundromat in Greenpoint) is really worth a try. He’s a long time Chateaubriand (Paris) chef & we’ve now gone twice. Really good both times. Reserve counter seats.

2 Likes

Thanks Steve! I’ll have to check it out. Love the restaurant scene in greenpoint these days. On that note - apparently ILIS (the noma co-founder’s new place in gp) is terrible for anyone trying to check it out. lots of issues with service and bad food. some industry friends I’ve heard from have also accounted management and concept issues. I hope they are able to figure it out bc the space looks beautiful.

Love Canete. Sat at the bar in February and it delicious and a lot of fun.

1 Like

We’re booked at the counter at Laundromat on Saturday.
Last night we were at House (also Greenpoint) - albeit a higher price point - excellent food, strongly recommended. We tried to draw the chef out about ILIS, but he avoided the direct question, only commenting on the space itself!