Paris — ‘Fancy’ Lunch/‘Romantic’ Dinner

I have been wondering about this myself–is this the same Petrelle, low key, “romantic,” and thoroughly delicious where I dined over a decade ago? Or am I thinking of someplace else? I must have missed hte story of its renewal.

1 Like

I would not call Eunoe ‘fancy’, and everyone has their own idea of ‘romantic’ but, boy, such a delicious fun place! Just need to be patient with Felix and his team when things get busy but everyone will get fed! Can not wait to return to Eunoe.

1 Like

Great restaurant!

My commentary on Hémicycle is now up.

Oh wonderful, thanks very much.

I think I am going to pass on this one. The ambiance and overall ‘feel’ of a restaurant is important to me, and based on your description — hard edges, higher decibel levels etc. — it seems like the kind of place I wouldn’t enjoy even if I am impressed with the food.

A bit of a shame, I know, given I did want to try the food from the ex Flaubert and Le Clarence chefs. But I am in Paris only for a few days and have to be brutal about hacking names off my list.

Le Clarence lunch booking is done, Jeanne Aimee dinner booking done (based on what I see on Google and Instagram, their dishes seem to be getting more daring and experimental every week).

Now debating between Alliance, Perception and Geosmine for one lunch. And Petrelle, Source and Hectar for one dinner. Extremely arbitrary choice list, yes, but opinions welcome!

Great review, onz, thanks for trying out Hémicycle. What is splendid is it’s proximity to Fondation Custodia, which like you and L, we never fail to miss on a visit to Paris. And the plates truly look excellent, so we’ll probably give it a try. But I may reach the same “soulless” conclusion as I did with Substance.

Given that my dynamic as a local is very different than yours as a tourist, I nevertheless suspect you are in danger of food fatigue and hitting too many one-note (a very high note) restaurants in a city that is such a wonderful symphony of food and restaurants. But to each his own.

I work in an industry that requires a lot of expense account dining. If more than one-tasting menu a week, I find the second (or third) menu dégustation a chore rather than a delight no matter how good the meal is. So, pacing and variety are important. At least for me.

As much as I like Perception (and I like it even more than the very likeable Jeanne-Aimee), I like it less for the a la carte lunch (which is a very—maybe too-- pared down sample of the chef’s extraordinary talent) than the tasting menu dinner. It does offer a tasting menu for lunch but, groan, you already have too many tasting menus on your list.

Petrelle would provide some much needed variety. Both in terms of à la carte cuisine and ambiance. I would also throw in the cheap, cheerful and very good Eunoé for the fun factor as well as for the cuisine.

I adored my lunch at Hémicycle for the food as much as the ambiance. But a very power lunch insider kind of ambiance and lots of table hopping to say hi to business contacts and old friends from uni. And, the day I was there, a bit of glamour thanks to the presence of a few famous fashionistas. Yet, I agree that it is far less suitable for tourists, especially older ones. Because the clientele is not supplied by central casting, the tone and restaurant theatre likely change daily and from lunch to dinner. I’ll also note that my parents went for dinner with friends and enjoyed it immensely.

1 Like

I am just refining my list a bit more — absolutely right that too many tasting menus are not ideal. But also true that as a tourist, my capacity to take in more than one a week during vacation is higher than a local.

In any case, might just skip Jeanne Aimee tasting dinner and Alliance tasting lunch.

For dinner — is Dilia a tasting? Or is it more like picking 5 dishes out of a menu? The website doesn’t say much. But think I read on HO that it’s not quite like a traditional tasting?

And any opinions on Dilia vs Le Servan for dinner? Both seem beloved, and I favor their (what I assume to be) rather modern cuisine to something that is more traditional.

For lunch, options are ChoCho, Eunoe, Alea and possibly Coretta.

Dilia is a tasting menu, but my memory is if you don’t take all of the courses, you can pick which ones you want, so not exactly a traditional tasting, but there was enough choice for me that I am looking forward to going back. I think, for example, if you want no meat, you can have that by ordering the two fish dishes. (Something like that.) Maybe someone who has been more often or more recently can respond.

Dilia and Le Servan are very different. Dilia is probably more traditional, but not what I would call really traditional food. Le Servan is probably the more “modern” of the two restaurants. And it’s Italian v. Asian.

Yes, as ninkat says, Dilia is a tasting menu. At lunch on Thursday and Friday, it’s 2, 3 or 4 courses; on Saturday and Sunday - 5, 7 or 8 courses. Dinner is also a “menu dégustation” on Thursday through Monday nights - 5, 7 or 8 courses. I personally wouldn’t have it any other way. I guess I’m the type of patron that would prefer the chef to just bring me what’s best on the menu on any particular day. At Dilia the courses are always extremely interesting and never seem too large.

We are currently in Paris and had lunch at AT last week. We were spurred on by the Paris By Mouth recent review…or should I say re-review. We had the same menu she did and found it delicious.
Perception is not to be missed and Petrelle is wonderful.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the note on AT. It’s probably going to have to wait for my next trip to Paris though. I am mostly set for my upcoming trip — Le Clarence for lunch, and Petrelle for dinner. The rest of the meals I am going to keep a la carte — so many to choose from — Des Terres, Le Goncourt, Servan, ChoCho, Passerini…

Chopped Alliance and Jeanne Aimee. I have room for one more set-menu dinner, and am agonising over a choice between Perception and. Geosmine. Gotta just pick one soon!

Will report back when done with the trip for sure.

We ate at both Perception and Geosmine within the last two weeks. If I had to choose one, it would be Geosmine, but both are worth a visit.

Hello Barbara and PN,
Greetings from Toronto!
I too am currently experiencing the same agony and indecision pertaining to my one remaining Michelin meal in Paris and am desperately seeking additional help and feedback.
Initially, based on its stellar reputation and high 4.8/5.0 Google Review rating; La Liste rating of #54 compared to the 2* David Toutain #69 and Septimes #120. I have marked down ’ Alliance '…95 Euro - 4 steps lunch as my choice.
However, Barbara’s thumbs-up endorsement of Geosmine is making me reconsider. Their 4.9/5.0 Google rating plus its fantastic looking offer of only 109 Euro for 8 steps and 139 Euro for a whopping 11 steps look such a fantastic deal!
Shall I gamble with a new, up & coming star or run with an established master? ( Have eliminated L’Arcane, La Condesa, AT and Monte based on past experiences )
Lastly, to make matters even worse, I just came across the 5.0/5.0, highly raved and incredibly enticing ’ Hemicycle '! …and it’s just a short 12 minutes walk from our hotel! :thinking: :thinking: :laughing: :laughing:

Charles,
My apologies for the delayed response. We just returned from Paris and are still “digging out”. I would always go for the new and the up and coming at least once during a trip. I agree that the review of Hemycycle sounds interesting and we will probably work that into our next trip.

We went to David Toutain pre-pandamic and absolutely hated it. It just was not our kind of “place”. Eating in restaurants is so personal and there is so much more that the food that enters into the experience.
Enjoy your trip. I look forward to your report when you return.

4 Likes

Hi Barbara,
I’m still planning my December trip so look forward to hearing where you went and how you felt about your choices. As you say, it’s not just the food but how one experiences a place. Welcome back.

Hi KJ,
Most of the “usuals” were great. Keep in mind that we only eat out for lunch.
Alliance-wonderful as always. We went 3x.

Ocktobre-Great food and service, but very hard wooden chairs with no cushions. We are in our 80’s and notice things such as this.

Janine-Lovely with fine food and a great staff.

Petrelle-Divine…what more can I say. It has all been said already.

Mezenay-Lots of fun with great food. Staff is delightful.

AT-We went because Paris By Mouth re-reviewed it while we’re in Paris and it was close to our rental apartment. Interesting, but not a “knockout”. When the wine we ordered was not available, I had to decline two bottles that were offered because they were 25Euros more than our original choice. Nothing really wrong with the place, but not worth a return trip.

Substance-What a sublime surprise in this neighborhood. Wonderful food, great staff; however,
visiting the toilette is not for the faint of heart if you are in your 80’s. Poorly lit winding wooden staircase with no handrails. Oh, to be young again!

We had one of my sisters as our guest for one of the weeks we were there. She had never been to Paris, so we included some “touristy” things, which led to some surprises.

Les Ombres-Despite all of the bad reviews, we hit it on a good day. Good food, great service…overpriced, of course. However, even having been to Paris many times,
sitting
and looking out at the Eiffel Tower (at eye level)
was pure joy.

Alain Ducasse Luncheon Cruise-Quelle horreuer…not us. But, I knew my sister would love it. Surprise, surprise, we did too. The food is cooked on board and it is delicious. The service is good and, of course, the views are wonderful. While perusing the wine list,I spotted a bottle of Rose from a well known producer for 35 Euros and snapped it up. It turns out that it was the last. bottle. This was my finest hour.Thank you Chef Ducasse.

Tour d’Argent-Once again for my sister. We had been thee one before pre-COVID. This was a major disappointment. The renovated dining room is lovely. The food was good. The staff is disorganized and harried. The Maitre D is a pompous ass. I had to pour the last third of our bottle of “overpriced” wine. No big deal,but at their prices ??? This is a “must miss”.

Sleeper…if you can tame one snotty waiter, Le Sargeant Recruiter on Ile St Louis serves a very nice lunch.

Have a wonderful trip and please forgive any typos or misspellings. We are out of town watching our grandkids while our son and daughter-in-law travel and I composed this on my IPad.

BTW, if anyone else is reading this, we are take the aforementioned son and his family to Paris over the Christmas holidays. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to have Christmas lunch that does not involve re-financing our home.

A votre sante !

11 Likes

Great report Thanks!

Yes, a terrific report! And Alliance three times - I’m jealous. How long were you in Paris?

I’ve looked at possible bookings at places friends have enjoyed for Christmas day, but they were all booked. I’ll keep thinking. Of course you could always go back to Les Ombres for 338€ per person! :))

Thanks. I enjoy yours also.