Paris 1* Lunch - Please pick one from this list of 5

Haven’t been to Pantagruel yet, and I didn’t even know about Mallory Gabsi. Alliance is my favorite restaurant in Paris.

For my money, no comparison between Pantagruel and Alliance. The former {where I eat perhaps twice a year) is a very good restaurant; the latter, where I eat 4-5 times a year, is perfection in the precision of every dish that goes way beyond what Pantagruel has ever shown me. We get a much warmer reception at Alliance, too (I have no indication that the people at Pantagruel know that we are return customers), but I don’t even take that into account in the above comparison of the two.

2 Likes

I’m far less loving about Alliance but agree that it would be an excellent choice for Charles. Maybe less so for his 30-something children. I suspect that there is generational difference in responses to Alliance. It seems to more easily appeal to an older clientele.

The food is superb but I have never really enjoyed any of my 5 or 6 (expense account) meals at Alliance. And it’s an opinion shared by many of my friends of my age and younger Just one of those irrational things that can’t be explained to or understood by those with a different mindset.

1 Like

I loved l’arcane when we ate there a few years ago. Too bad it’s closed when you are there. I canceled a lunch reservation last year at Pantagruel because the lunch menu looked really dull. I replaced it with Le Sergeant Recruteur which turned out to be fabulous. We ordered a la carte but the prix fixe also looked very nice. Granite was excellent, but without choices on the menu. Michelin stars don’t always mean the best food though. We’ve had some wonderful meals at non-starred restaurants, such as Le Radis Beurre (been there multiple times), Parcelles, and Chantoiseau. La Condesa also has a star and is quite interesting, as well as Mo’suke, which is a tough res to get, but if you can you really should try it.

3 Likes

One observation on Alliance – I (and I am not alone) find it much better at lunch than at dinner.

2 Likes

Another vote on Mosuke, but you need to like African and Japanese influenced French cooking. It has been closed for renovations right now, will reopen on 1 June. Very difficult to get reservation though.

1 Like

I really do not enjoy Alliance at dinner. It seems too buttoned up, too staid and serious. But at lunch, FOH/sommelier Shawn Joyeux keeps things light and a little more carefree, so it might work for 30-somethings. Perhaps it depends on whether we’re talking 31 or 38. For younger friends/family, Alliance would not be my first choice. I would prefer something a little bohemian. Maybe Jeanne Aimée, Chocho or even Korus on rue Amelot. Of course, these are not one star places, but the cuisine is excellent and they’re all a lot of fun with a younger clientele.

1 Like

They are both ‘mature’ mid to late 30’s avid foodies with surprisingly discriminating palate. To date, they have eaten in Michelin star restaurants all over the world…from Barcelona, Hong Kong, Chicago, New York , Toronto, Tokyo…etc. To them, food rating is the most important. Should have no problem adjusting to pretentious and stiff-necked service…etc.

1 Like

Right now, narrowed down choices to the 95 Euro, 4 steps luncheon tasting menus of 'Alliance ’ and ’ Mallory Gabsi '. The latter allows ordering of additional dishes from a la carte menu.

1 Like

Ah, I think I should keep my mouth shut from now on. Such earnestness and narrow focus is alien to me for whom the very French sense of “joie” is required. Mais chacun son truc.