Pandemic--one year in

So sad for those with Alzheimer’s (I’ve had my fair share) and those without Alzheimer’s (another fair share). Can’t we just block off a building to allow socially distanced hugs and kisses?

Honestly given the circumstances it could be a blessing in disguise.

For some people that’s certainly true.

1 Like

@LindaWhit I’m usually a social person, who organizes a lot of gettogethers and events.

I’ve become more of a loner over the past 6 months. Pre-pandemic, I used to see 3 or 4 friends over the course of a weekend, text several friends daily, organize group dinners and events. I was on a group trip with 75 skiers the last week of Feb 2020. My last outing where I saw more than 1 friend was brunch with 2 friends on March 14, 2020.

Lately, I’m in touch with 3 friends a few times a week. 1 by email, 1 by phone, 1 by WhatsApp. I have a few other friends or peers I check in with once a month.

I have only seen 3 friends in person, for 3 separate
walks, since Nov 1.

I realized over the past 6 months, I was making a lot more effort checking in and maintaining relationships than a lot of people in my life.

I realize this is a hard time for everyone. This is a time when you really can see who is making an effort, during a difficult time, to reach out or reciprocate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re going to have to explain that concept to me.

I’m single and live with two four-legged personal assistants. :roll_eyes:

Prior to Covid I rarely went anywhere except the market, liquor store, and hardware store for lump for the Egg.

I work nearly exclusively from home so I was pretty much made for this isolation.

Work, cook, read, serve my “personal assistants” and sleep. It just doesn’t get much better than this for me.

Here’s one doing yoga by the pool.

7 Likes

I’m not sure I can adequately explain it as it was the subject of a lengthy editorial in the local paper that was written by a healthcare\eldercare professional. But essentially most long-term facilities in my area are made up of several buildings. The proposal was to allow families to have their loved ones moved to a designated building, where they would remain socially distanced from one another. Designated family members, with full PPE, would then be allowed to visit with scheduled times to ensure visitors would not be crossing paths in the halls.

It sounds a little clunky, but when I read the professional’s proposal it seemed perfectly feasible.

2 Likes

Similarish has happened in the UK. Not actually permitting physical contact but many homes have adapted their premises to create a safe “contact area” - basically a glass screen between the two areas with intercom facilities, so that a form of visiting can have taken place… Our homes are usually single buildings, so I can see how you might be able to go further if there are multiple locations in the facility.

However, from Monday, we take a major step forward and physical contact will be permitted. There are major constraints. Each home manager will need to make the arrangements so that visits will be as safe as can be. It’s only going to be one designated relative who can visit. They will have to wear PPE and take a lateral flow test. Physical contact will be minimal - hand holding, rather than hugs and kisses. It’s a welcome start.

5 Likes

You just reminded me of a particular time when I reached for my grandmother’s hand. That frail lady gripped so tightly and held on for so long, it was obviously the most important thing in the world to her at that moment that someone was holding her hand. She wasn’t exactly sure who I was, and it mattered anyway.

5 Likes

As the great American poet Bruce Springsteen reminds us, we all need that human touch.

2 Likes

I follow you now. Thanks.

1 Like

:sob:

When I mentioned being more affectionate to my mom it’s just this . . . holding her hand when watching tv . . .a nice hug and kiss before bed. We are traditionally not a huggy/kissy family, but desperate times . . .

3 Likes