Pak Nam Thai -- new Southern Thai in the TL [San Francisco]

Now, the naming of the dishes is in English for the most part. Some of the dishes from before the rebranding seems to be gone, like Tom Yum Kar Moo, boat noodle.

They seem more mainstream, and serve ‘safer’ dishes now.

I went to Pak Nam for dinner and had a bowl of their pork tom yum noodle soup ($9.95). I was thinking about getting the dry version (looked pretty good from @sck’s post above) but I was in the mood for some soup.

I got it with egg noodles. It was quite good. Nice tangy sour-ish tom yum broth, slightly thick, with ground pork, sliced pork, fish balls, fish cake, bean sprouts, a perfectly soft boiled runny egg(!), intestines, liver (or kidney?), and a crispy fried wonton skin like thing. Unlike the dry version there was no roasted pork in this. Very generous with toppings. Almost looked like a Thai version of ramen with the wonton skin replacing the nori, and the runny egg. The one minus (and this is kind of a big minus), was that the egg noodles were a little overcooked. Still, it was a very good bowl of soup noodles. If I get it again I think I will try it with some thin rice noodles instead. They give you a choice of noodle type.

1 Like

I had a bowl of the beef tendon noodle soup from Pak Nam, with thin rice noodles ($9.95). I was in the mood for some beef tendon. Salty sweet broth. I added some of the vinegary green hot sauce and some pickled vegetables from the condiment jars on the table, and they cut nicely through the sweetness of the broth. The tendon in this dish was tender and gelatinous, hit the spot. A pretty simple bowl of noodle soup. The other toppings were some celery-like leafy greens, bean sprouts, fried garlic, and some meatballs, which were only ok - springy but lacking in flavor.

1 Like

Is that a blackish colored broth? I vaguely remember having a noodle at Lers Ros with a broth that looked like that. Any idea why its so dark?

Yeah it was a dark broth, maybe a beef broth base?

Oh if its only beef, perhaps the broth looks darker in the picture than it is then.

Pak Nam is now Tender Curry and Co. Their menu has a mix of different types of curry rice plates, along with khao mun gai and ramen. Bit of an odd combination.

I will certainly check out the Japanese Curry part of the menu.
My recent favorite Japanese curry place decided frying katsu took too much time so they cut it out of the menu. (Jijime on Geary)