Pack your leftovers yourself, please...

mmm … not when you are bringing it home to DH and passing it off as dinner :wink:

1 Like

Yes, Chinese soups but also Mexican. Portions can be huge in either case. For Chinese, a local place does a great hand-pulled noodles in broth with seafood, and there is about three times the amount of noodles I generally can eat. So, eat the seafood and some of the noodles, sip at the broth, then eat the leftovers with canned clams, those mini-sized whole ones. Mexican posole at another local place is about two times too big, and I pick out the pork, eat some of the hominy, and have the leftovers with seared chunks of bavette steak.

2 Likes

Low end restaurants means low end wages. I normally give 25% in low end restaurants.

2 Likes

Any leftovers you find to travel better than others . Soup ; Yes . Salad ( lettuce) ; No . Some pastas don’t travel well also . Pizza is OK . What to you pack to go as leftovers ? I rarely have them . Just wondering . Thanks :fork_and_knife:

Salad with dressing on = No. Salad without dressing will last a few days, but if it’s been mixed forget about it. Pizza travels fine, however it’s the reheat that is most important with left over pizza, you just can’t microwave it. Never. Also I don’t like to microwave steaks, these do much better in a traditional oven.

Seafood I’m always very cautious with, not that there is any behind my apprehension but I generally find reheating/eating seafood icky. Don’t ask me why.

1 Like

You forgot a couple of slices of wilted cucumber in the mix.

2 Likes

I have no problem with packing my own leftovers and it doesn’t affect the tip. I have never encountered it at an upscale place but at some mid-range places, the boxes and plastic bags are set out for diners to retrieve for themselves as they wish and a supply of extra napkins and plastic ware is also readily available.

I’ll eat leftover fish/shrimp but usually just eat them cold. Then again, it’s rare that I’d have leftover seafood. If I know I can’t finish my meal, I’ll often prioritize and eat the things that won’t travel or reheat well.

2 Likes