[Oxton, Merseyside] Fraiche

Nah, I’m going to give it a miss till I know what’s what.

Just come across this article on Hardens
https://www.hardens.com/uk-london/03-02-2023/fraiche-defies-reports-of-closure/

1 Like

So, finally the confirmation that, over recent months, Marc has been talking bollocks and the restaurant is actually closing and moving to Shropshire. This from Facebook today:-

" The eagle eyed local guests may have noticed the Fraiche signage has been removed and the infamous moon is now down and safely into my back pack.

This can only mean Fraiche is indeed on the move and I leave Oxton filled with many memories and pride of what I have achieved so far with Fraiche not forgetting the wonderful people I have met along the way.

Now it’s time to evolve Fraiche and relocate it to the stunning countryside of Shropshire. A huge thank you to all who have supported the restaurant and hope some of you venture down to try the new environment this summer.

Bookings will be released on the 1st of June on our new website at Fraiche.

The menu style will continue at the same high standards, the chef and of course octopus and the moon will be reassuringly familiar to you and unfortunately you will still have to suffer Prince on the playlist.

One new bonus for guests will be the option to stay over in my guest room and we will now offer private parking which is such a luxury compared to the gridlocked village I leave behind.

Thank you"

Doesnt seem to be any info where the restaurant is moving to but, presumably, all will become clear. Assuming that Marc’s reservation arrangements continue as before, those first bookings made in June will be for September tables. I think I might leave it a little while for him to bed in.

2 Likes

Big county. Could be anywhere. Had no idea he was a Prince fan. Even more gutted now to have missed out while he was nearby :frowning:

1 Like

Some news about the Oxton site. It’s being taken over by Andrew Sheridan, who originates from the village but who has relocated his main restaurant, “8”, from Birmingham to Liverpool city centre. He’s also opening Oxa on the Fraiche site next month. I might just have to schelp down the motorway to give it a try.

(Details from my weekly email from Hardens Guide)

1 Like

Oxa has opened. I had a look at the online menu on the off-chance but, no, this isn’t worth an hour’s drive.

By the by, the re-opening of Fraiche “somewhere in Shropshire” is apparently delayed, due to the building work taking longer than expected.

1 Like

Yes I’ve had a look at Oxa and came to the same conclusion…looked like the ‘vibe’ might be their main concern :slight_smile:

1 Like

More from me laddo’s Facebook (courtesy of Mrs H who does Facebook). Looks like he going from Michelin starreed restaurant to bring-your-own “secret supper club” in his front room somewhere unknown. FFS

"*The new concept will be a similar menu style as found on previous menus at Fraiche. A collection of multi courses making up the tasting menu using the same high quality ingredients with mostly all the same suppliers on board. Bookings are up to 8 guests per service, table sizes ranging from 1 to 6 guests including a bench seat area viewing on to the open kitchen. *
*Tasting Menu will be priced at £120 per person and the experience is to take place in the (soon to be) converted ground floor of my home , alcoholic beverages will be on a bring your own basis while I will stock soft drinks and waters for those who would like to enjoy those here. Fraiche location is situated in Shropshire and the nearest town is Oswestry,confirmed bookings will be of course given details of the address and assistance with directions. *
This is to keep my information as secure as possible. More details will be updated on the website soon and thank you for your patience for the ongoing delays with building work. It will be a unique experience and I will look forward to welcoming you to Fraiche once again though now with Trees "

1 Like

How odd. How does the ‘pair your wines to your food’ interaction work there then ?
From what I’ve read, I’m surprised that he would be relaxed about the risk of imbalance creeping in…if someone rocks up with a super heavy read to go nicely with that delicate white fish he has prepared ? Maybe he will give hints as to what to bring when he Whatsapps you asking if you can pick up some crushed ice on the way over…? :slight_smile:

When we first went to Fraiche, he didnt do a wine pairing. So Mrs H asked what should she drink, as she didnt know what the food was going to be, and was told just to order what she liked drinking.

1 Like

So, 1 September dawned and I was ready to try to get an October table…10am dawns and several dates appeared open! Clicked on my preferred two… it said we will come back to you…and nothing so far !

Any news out there as to what the food is actually like in this new incarnation ?

Mrs H tells me that the only comment on his Facebook page said the food was “amazing” which is about as useful as a totally useless thing. Lots of comments, like yours, saying difficulty of getting a response out of him over reservations.

I looked at his website a few days ago and it looked like there was simply a form to fill in requesting a table. Nothing to indicate when you actually wanted one. So it sounds like he’s changed the procedure if you had pop-up dates.

We’ve decided to leave a trip there till next spring - when he’ll have either failed or will have got his arse properly in gear.

Full review please if you do get in.

2 Likes

hmmm yes - still nothing - so looks the dates were illusory :frowning:

Ahha. So “fantasy food”, rather than “fantastic food”.