Ottolenghi London

It’s been over a decade since my meal, but you reminded me that I enjoyed the tapas at this place, Meson Don Felipe, before a play at the Old Vic. https://www.mesondonfelipe.co.uk/menuwine

While there are newer , more modern and more upscalew Spanish restaurants in London, I liked Meson Don Felipe a lot. I can’t remember if we tried the paella.

1 Like

I’ve been to The Wolseley several times , mainly for breakfast. The omelette Arnold Bennett is great , as is the haggis and duck eggs. The service was always great. I haven’t been for a while but I 'm a tad worried having heard that the restaurant group that owned it was subject to a hostile takeover.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting the link.

1 Like

Indeed. I remember when I used London Bridge Station to commute to and from work. I often got my fruit , veg and meat from there on the way home. This was nearly 20 years ago now, it was always great for game.

It’s mainly about stalls selling dishes or prepared food now It’s too busy for me now., plus ça change.

1 Like

I’ve cooked a fair bit from a number of the cookbooks and had excellent success – so much so that when I’ve been to two of the restaurants, I’ve found them no better than what I made from the cookbooks.

6 Likes

I attended an event where a local restaurant in Toronto cooked from one of his cookbooks, and Ottolenghi was in attendance. I have a feeling that is part of the reason why his cookbooks sell well, and his column is popular.

1 Like

Harters, we had a genuinely delicious roast dinner at Rules tonight with our former (long ago) aupair joining us. She said it was legit brilliant. Don’t think our roast potatoes were Jersey but I’ll keep my eyes open for my one meal when I’m back in 2 weeks. Thank you, you’re batting 1.000!

6 Likes

Good to know one of my favourite places has met with approval this weekend.

1 Like

I’m a fan. My usual location is Spitalfields Did I post a review for my last meal? I forget Will check. ‘Too many ingredients’? Maybe but I make the same sort of salad myself so won’t criticise. I don’t like going at dinner time when there are overpriced sharing plates. Love going for lunch where I will get two or three salads with a protein (used to be a lovely rare beef before that disappeared when they came back from lockdown, now a grilled salmon…)

Funny you should ask, though. I am going tomorrow night. I was really sad that the Canadian visitors who preferred it from my list of a few places (they are vegetarian and that sealed the deal) couldn’t do lunch so I’ll grin and bear (the bill). I’ll review it.

I did go to Nopi once, with my family (also from Canada). I didn’t like sitting in the basement and the sharing plates were skimpy for the four of us. It was nice enough…again. LUNCH! That’s the thing.

3 Likes

So again, yes, go for lunch It’s a generous plate - Spitalfields for its location but it’s noisy. Or the original in Islington if you have the time - because…it’s the original!

I don’t live in London, and it’s been a few years since I was there last, but I enjoyed Ottolenghi’s places; Spitalfields most recently, and Islington (I think) before that (it was tight space but nice and bright, and there was a gorgeous array of food displayed at the counter in front). As @ calam1ty says, I think it works best for lunch or takeout lunch (I never went for dinner), and is a great option for vegetarian eating, even though it is not exclusively that.