Organizing a healthy food talk, demo, and boxed lunch!

It looks very healthful and tasty. Also, people can add or subtract what they want

1 Like

Thamk you and agreed. We might be able to get demo kitchen stuff, like an overhead video camera screen, but maybe it’s not worth the added expense.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

1 Like

I’d like to!

How far away is this event, weeks or months I hope?

I say look at the caterer’s full menu and see if they have existing items that could work with little or no change and look at other caterers too. Caterers might not want to give out their recipes but you can ask. It takes a lot of time and effort to create a new dish. Even starting from a recipe you have to make it a couple of times, figure out the yield, cost, shelf life, packaging … R&D really eats into the profit margin and something already on the menu should be tried & true. Leaving the raisins out of the salad is one thing …

2 Likes

Good thought`s; thank you. Its end of March.

Then you have time to sort it out. Are there any soul food restaurants or caterers who might want to also learn about healthier options?

1 Like

I’m looking into it. That’s sort of why I made this a regional post; to see if anyone in the area might chime in with local references.

I just remembered; Tanya Holland of Brown Sugar Ktchen had a catering link!

1 Like

oh that looks good.

obvs no fried chicken but could you make a healthy lunch from black eye pea salad, a corn cake or roasted green beans, and a slice of veg muffaletta or the breakfast egg tart?

2 Likes

Sensitive subject for sure, but I think you’re on the right track. The best you can hope for is a few kids and mother’s to silently say thank you in the long run.

Obviously the Insurance company sponsor is looking down the road trying to cut costs. Who are they trying to kid? Good luck with this latest endeavor and I for one am definitely looking forward to a follow up

3 Likes

Not necessarily anyone?

I’m not generally what anyone would call “corporation-friendly” (in fact most people with an opinion on the subject think I’m hopelessly/hilariously out of date - if not out of touch with reality :wink: on that sort of issue), but it really doesn’t matter why  they’re sponsoring it, does it? If it works, it’s a “win-win” situation…

2 Likes

My understanding is that people don’t usually stay with a health insurance company long enough for the health insurance company to benefit from preventive care. There are exceptions, and Kaiser health insurance usually knows what they are. Kaiser s not sponsoring this, but they often lend a hand in such events.

Relatedly, the sponsorship package says no competing company can be involved. My take on it was that having their name in the right place increases members, and if some/most of them are healthy, it’s a win for them.

In addition, some health care organizations, especially if they have a non-profit arm, are require to spend some money in the community.

It is definitely a win for us.

1 Like

An update

Right now I’m looking at the original company Kitchen on Fire , for the “demo” and talk, and hope to get a different company to make “bowls” for 200.

This one is from Market Hall Caterers
Bowl menu

Interestingly, “bowls” cost more than sandwiches. I hope to rent a “demo station” with overhead mirror as well, but I’m not confident the budget for all this will be approved.

I’ve been digging my way through a website called EZ cater, and have two more, less expensive options for “bowls”.

Homegrown in San Francisco

elixiria

If I’m on the right track, I’m hoping the demo/discussannt can talk about the ease , benefits, and cost of bowls vs sandwiches, and of making at home vs buying out.

1 Like

Those bowls look delicious!

I agree. Any thoughts about which ones you would order the most of, assuming this might be a change for most? I hope it can be something participants can bring from home or afford to buy nearby.

I was attracted to the Black Bean and Sweet Potato Bowl and both of the salmon bowls. Fresh salmon is very expensive, though. I eat so much chicken I get sick of it. Also, my oncologist advised against soybean based food so I avoid tofu and edamame although I love them both. I do think the chicken bowls would be the most affordable and familiar, easiest to source. Personally, I dislike raw kale.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Cafe Umami also seems to cater resonablypriced “bowl” lunchs, although not as gateway-freindly.

I know you’re not on the East Coast, but you could check out their website. Seasonal neighbors of ours have a corporate catering business in Cambridge, MA called Basil Tree. You might find some ideas from their menus. They always bring us food in exchange for our help with their property when they’re not here and it’s a treat.

1 Like

I absolutely LOVE the bowl idea @shrinkrap - they look beautiful (remember, you eat with your eyes first)! and healthy.

I think it might be a good idea to choose 3 different bowls that you think your audience may enjoy, and then let them choose. You may have a little wiggle room to negotiate with the caterers, as this may streamline the purchasing, the kitchen process and reduce waste. If they don’t come down on price, perhaps they would add a healthy cookie or bar for your event. It’s worth a try to ask, considering the type of event this is.

Put me in the camp of not liking fresh kale, especially curly kale, if not in a smoothie.

As others have mentioned, I think it would be great to give the women a handout with quick, easy, and healthy recipes.

Good luck!

1 Like

What a good goal, @shrinkrap!

Agree with some of the earlier comments on ingredients, accessibility, relatability, and simplicity.

Re bowls - I know they’re trendy right now, but imho they often have too many components for “easy” replication at home.

Agree also that a demo for 200 is challenging both to do and to sustain interest in, unless you can somehow break the room down into smaller groups, or it’s just assembly rather than actual cooking.

Might be helpful to coordinate the demo idea and the meal - a simple (3-component - carb,veg,protein) bowl theme would be a good focal point: how to construct an interesting and healthy bowl meal with familiar, inexpensive, nutritious ingredients, and some easy flavor boosters, ie inexpensive spices or blends.

If you have the funds, you could also give away some of the demonstrated flavor enhancers - chipotle powder / taco seasoning, curry powder, 5-spice, or whatever cuisine angles you might touch on.

1 Like

Nice!
Right now there seems to be no way of knowing how many to expect, and what they might want, so I was thinking of pitching more choices for the first 50 to sign up in advance enough to impact our order with the catered.