Openings/closings Jan/Feb/March 2023 [Boston, New England]

everest momo and pizza has opened in the classic pizza location on ferry street in malden

2 Likes

Saigon Tiger by Chef Ho Tang has opened in Davis Square at 7 Holland Street. No website as yet. Noticed as driving by.

6 Likes

Oh, yes- thanks for reminding me! They were lunch only for a few weeks but looks like they now have dinner hours. When I walked by last weekend, they were very empty. Will make a note to wander over and patronize them soon!

1 Like

Atwood’s is closing, an old stomping ground for me and B, pre-Spring Onion. :cry:

3 Likes

looking forward to your thoughts!

Going to miss Atwoods a lot. Great place for live music, and the outdoor space was a hidden gem in warm weather. Very underrated food as well. It’s tough to see these places go and generally not be replaced by places that will be regulars for us.

1 Like

Atwood’s had a delicious fisherman’s stew that paid homage to the neighborhood fish markets and I think they sourced their seafood from either Courthouse or the other joint, whose name escapes me.

In any case, it’s a bummer.

2 Likes

Yes, that sounds correct. Their wings were from Mayflower. That kind of neighborhood cooperation was great. Sadly, they’re both now gone. Hopefully Courthouse and New Deal endure!

4 Likes

7ate9 bakery in Somerville (Highland Ave, near the Armory, not really in any square) announced they are closing. They are mostly known for cheesecake, which was never really my thing, but they made an excellent version.

4 Likes

Cheesecake is not my thing either but I vaguely remember that they carried a couple of other items as well. Their chief use to me for a period of time was that they were a place to park my daughter while I shopped at M.F.Dulock next door (the whole pigs head in the MFD display case bothered her). It was an out-of-the way-location, and they were rarely busy.

2 Likes

Drove by Tapei Gourmet yesterday am. Banner announcing “Grand Opening” across front of building. Unfortunately on a tight schedule unable to stop to find out more. https://www.menustone.com/local/taipeigourmet Online menu does not list “lunch specials”.

2 Likes

Deep Ellum in Waltham is scheduled to open TOMORROW in the old Gaff location on Moody Street.

5 Likes

I just heard through the grapevine that Thai Moon, which closed across from Arlington’s main library following a fire about 3 years ago, is planning to reopen further east on Mass Ave in the former Twyrl space. This is great news for me as I work in the area and really have missed them. I also heard Thana Thai, previously near Arlington High School, will be closing for good soon.

3 Likes

I’m about to pass out for so many reasons (in a good way). Thank you @stevestroud.

1 Like

I didn’t even know they had relocated.

1 Like

I seem to only have “coming soon news” these days . . . but in Waltham there are signs up for two new places on Moody Street.

Shiki Shabu Shabu - into old Playmake space

Waku Waku Ramen and Sake - into the old Moody’s fried chicken space

I’m always up for good Ramen and Shabu Shabu, so here is hoping they make it and are good!

3 Likes

I hope so too!

This will bring joy to nobody, least of all @uni, but here it is:

2 Likes

I literally just saw this today too. I am sadness.

1 Like

Interesting (and disappointing on more than one level). I had not seen this tagline on their website, however I have not pulled it up in quite some time. We started enjoying Cafe Sushi as great value cheap eats and graduated to their superior omakase, which was also an excellent value. It’s ironic that Cafe Sushi has evolved into a relatively pricey take out spot.

It’s strange that they would bold but we no longer offer dine-in! but have not commented further (via traditional or social media, or directly to customers and neighbors who supported them through covid) about their decision and plans. The last time I was by, it still looked like they controlled the previous restaurant space which is prime real estate. I guess some of the space is used for prep.

A sad loss for the area and Boston sushi scene. Oh well, at least we can stop wondering and hoping now.

3 Likes