[Oakland] Oakland News & Notes 2019

FYI: we stopped in at Atelier Colibre in late April 2019. The rvw I wrote up is summarized here:

" Atelier Colibre is the essence of a personal operation. Ms. Hawkins bakes in the back and sells in the front. The long, single level display case holds a modest assortment of pastries and a few loaves of levain. Unlike many bakeries, Colibri is only open for lunch, staying open until 7:00 p.m. on weekdays. Being a tiny operation, it’s best to come as early as possible. We arrived just after lunch, and even so there were only two types of croissants, three flavors of mini-tarts, two pastries and a savory mini-pie – just a few available of each. We bought one of everything but the Napoleon pastry, to try.

Mini-tarts were good: a dark chocolate and an almond. Almond/raspberry only had thin layer of jam; we preferred the straightforward almond.

Mini pies, sweet and savory: okay but a lot of pastry crust without much filling, so they tend to be dry.

Plain croissant: Small and baked a dark brown. Cultured butter flavor evident; interior well-layered. Not quite the level of our favs Parker-Lusseau/Monterey and Rotha/Albany but definitely able to eat plain (no toasting/no butter), which is our criteria for taste-testing ‘apples to apples’.

Chocolate croissant: Good, a little short on the filling, perhaps. We don’t like too much chocolate in it but this didn’t quite make it to five-star level. Give it 4.5 stars.

Atelier Colibri is a good little neighborhood bakery. A little adjustment in what Ms. Hawkins offers might be in order, but it’s very early days yet as the bakery just opened in late 2018. It definitely has promise. The ingredients are very good quality and Hawkins has the classical techniques down pat.

The biggest issue is that there is not a lot of variety at any time. The owner bakes only what she thinks she can sell that day, which is laudable but also self-defeating in the long run. She is a talented baker, but perhaps not an experienced business manager. Rotha/Albany suffers from the same issue. You can only keep sending away people empty-handed for so long, until they won’t even bother trying to return.

Colibri was further from the downtown San Leandro area than I expected, so it took us about 18 minutes to drive across the city from our lunch restaurant. It’s located on the west side of the 880 freeway, past where the Home Depot is located but in the same general area.

We hope Atelier Colibri succeeds. It’s a cute little shop, and is offering a better quality product than we usually see in the East Bay. Ms. Hawkins is following her dream, and with some luck hopefully success will come. "

1 Like

Couple of items:

New restaurant Mago now open from former AQ chef Mark Liberman, with a 4.5 rating on Yelp after a dozen or so reviews: 3762 Piedmont Ave. @MacArthur Blvd., Oakland (formerly Cybelle Pizza)

4505 BBQ has finally opened in the Laurel, and one of my listserv members gave it a big thumbs-up. Warning: parking can be very tight around that intersection! 3506 Macarthur Blvd., @35th St. Oakland

1 Like

PHOTO BY SANA JAVERI KADRI.

FreeStaff PickOne Day Only

Authors at Cosecha: Paloma Martinez-Cruz & Carlos Manuel Salomon

Sun., July 7, 2-5 p.m.

1 Like
1 Like

Super excited to hear Ba-Bite will reopen as Pomella - so glad Ms. Talmor was able to stay in Oakland! I signed up on the website to stay updated, so will keep the board apprised as she moves forward with her new plans.

We adored her hummus - amazing stuff. Made everybody else’s taste pasty and chunky in comparison.

2 Likes

http://www.oaklandmagazine.com/Market-Hall-Foods-to-Hold-Bastille-Day-Soire/

Market Hall Foods is throwing its fourth annual Bastille Day Soirée and celebrating all things Français at Rockridge Market Hall from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, July 13.

The festive fete will include tastings of cheese and charcuterie — such as Jambon de Bayonne — as well as Frenchified fun activities and prize giveaways.

1 Like

excerpt:

A rotating selection of several vegan and vegetarian entrées is always available. When I visited, I tried a bitter melon and egg frittata with golden-brown edges that managed to tame the melon’s bitterness from overwhelming down to pleasantly medicinal. For meat-eaters, it’s hard to go wrong with favorites like thit ko or ca kho to (caramelized catfish). Smoky, rich pork with crunchy, tangy pickled vegetables is also a must-order if you spy it on the steam table.

Cam Anh

920 Webster St.
Oakland
510-451-4389
Hours: Thu.-Tue. 7 a.m.-6 p.m.

1 Like

Really sad to hear about this when I went there on Wednesday. For most of the year, I have to be in that area each week for chorus rehearsal, so it was becoming my local. I’d go there most weeks for at least a beer, and food probably once a month. It was always crowded. Such a shame it couldn’t make it.

1 Like

This Monday, a wealth of new lunchtime options arrived in the Koreatown-Northgate, or KONO, neighborhood with the KONO Food Alley. The KONO Food Alley is a collection of food stands and food trucks that appear at the outdoor space in front of 3118 Telegraph Ave. in Oakland every Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. from now until October 10.

1 Like

excerpts:

Fried dough might be one of the most universally loved foods, and Top Hatters can certainly deliver palate-pleasing versions. Tissue bread has origins in Southeast Asia, but it’s really just thin, flaky fried bread. Vu serves it with a soy dip and pickled fennel for a unique take. Then there’s the savory ricotta donut, made with polenta for extra crisp around the edges, along with scallions, garlic, and optional (highly recommended) bacon. Though there’s undeniable Italian influence, it’s ultimately a savory fried dough.

Dessert, too, draws from a range of influences. The ricotta zeppole, a sweet, lemon zest-scented version of the savory donut, was extraordinary, especially with warm vanilla bean dipping sauce. The buttermilk panna cotta with citrus granita and tallow shortbread was showstopping, and worth a trip to Top Hatters in its own right. The creamy panna cotta was balanced by the bright, tangy, and flaky-textured granita, while crumbled tallow shortbread (made using the fat rendered from brisket in order to reduce food waste) added crispness. I recommend sharing it, and ordering a Vietnamese egg coffee all for yourself — it’s a lusciously foamy, rich Vietnamese treat.

Top Hatters Kitchen

855 MacArthur Blvd., San Leandro
510-777-9777
Hours: Tue.-Thu. 5-9 p.m., Fri.-Sat. 5-10 p.m., Sun. 5-9 p.m.
Cash, All Major Credit Cards
TopHattersKitchen.com

Sample Menu
Chopped clams … $10
Seasonal greens and shattered crepes … $11
Tissue bread … $9
Oxtail and grits … $32
Whole game hen … $40 small/$55 large
Panna cotta with granita … $8

PHOTO BY LANCE YAMAMOTO

The oxtail and grits have Southern and Italian roots.

1 Like

https://hoodline.com/2019/08/oakland-s-3-top-international-grocery-stores-that-won-t-break-the-bank.

Oakland’s 3 top international grocery stores (that won’t break the bank)

Minto Jamaican Market | Mithepheap Market | Lao Market

Next up is Rancho San Antonio’s Mithepheap Market, situated at 1400 14th Ave. (between Marin Way and 15th Avenue). With 4.5 stars out of 30 reviews on Yelp, the international grocery store has proven to be a local favorite for those looking for an affordable option.

The store offers Cambodian and Southeast Asian ingredients, which includes a selection of produce, spices, herbs, sauces, noodles and canned goods. There are also pre-packaged meals available at the checkout counter.

1 Like

Whoa, that picture show wingbeans at Mithepheap Market! Great find.

2 Likes

I’ve been there a few times for a takeout kit of green curry soup in a styrofoam cup with a plastic clamshell of rice noodles and herbs. A small plastic bag of pickled chopped fruit, mostly apple, was dessert. There are no tables inside or outside so I made do by sitting on the steps by the side of the parking lot while trying to coax the noodles and herbs into the curry without spilling.

A poster on Yelp in September 2011 described some of the more rare items found at Mithepheap:

I come here for the most exotic, hard to find ingredients, particularly herbs and vegetables, such as holy basil, lemon basil, wild pepper leaves (bai chaploo in Thai), moringa (marum) leaves, pea eggplants, culantro, curry leaves, inexpensive baby corn, ivy gourd vines (dtam leung). fresh winged beans (tua poo), fresh cha-om and much more. The last two I listed are such special and well-loved Southeast Asian vegetables that I can find regularly during the summer only at this store in the Bay Area.

During the summer, the owner, Sam, drives up to his friend’s farm three to four times each month to gather up these exotic produce and, with cha-om and winged beans, they are usually gone within a few days after he returns with his precious supply. I am particularly addicted to cha-om (a kind of edible tropical acacia much loved among Thais, Cambodians, Laotians and Burmese).

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mithepheap-market-oakland?sort_by=date_asc

1 Like

The Temescal outpost of Brenda’s French Soul Food will hopefully be opening in the next couple of months. I walked past there (corner of 41st and Broadway) yesterday, and there’s a lovely, specially made wrought iron fence around what will be the outdoor seating area. I read that it’s going to be fast casual, so probably counter service. I’m there most every Wednesday evening and am sure looking forward to having Brenda’s as a dinner option!

1 Like

Oakland’s Historic Chinatown Street Festival
** 2019 OCCC Chinatown StreetFest**

On August 24 & 25 the Oakland Chinatown Chamber of Commerce (OCCC) will be presenting its 32nd Annual Chinatown StreetFest. In celebrating the Year of the Boar, the Chinatown StreetFest will attract thousands of people from all over the Bay Area to come savor the taste of Asia, and to experience the traditions that Oakland’s Chinatown has so diligently preserved.

The two-day event runs from 10AM to 5:30PM and is free to the public. Consisting of more than 150 booths,

https://www.oaklandchinatownchamber.org/streetfest

Town PopUp is home to one resident pop-up, Man vs. Fries. Bonhorst and his fiancée, Ghazal Sharif, started Man vs. Fries about a year ago as a pop-up out of Cinco TacoBar’s Livermore location. Bonhorst describes the pop-up as “a French-fry lover’s dream.” Start with the fries of your choice — including curly fries or waffle fries — then add your choice of meat and toppings. Customers can even get fries inside a burrito or quesadilla. Desserts are reminiscent of the sweets you’d find at a county fair: fried cheesecake, fried cookie dough, and the “OMG Oreo,” a deep-fried Oreo.

TOWN POPUP

:round_pushpin: 2307 International Blvd Oakland, Ca

https://www.instagram.com/townpopup/