[Oakland] Oakland News & Notes 2019

Some of the restaurants really shouldn’t close to be the top 50- Gochi for example.

Yeah I don’t know how such things work but it seems pretty clear a bot must have snaked the tickets. I went to Franklin BBQ six year ago and it was worth the hassle - I guess I’ll have to go back to Austin to try it again.

I don’t think it helps that 4505’s location in Oakland’s Laurel isn’t a very big space, either. It’s fine for the neighborhood, but for such a popular event, picking a site that only holds 50-60 people - maybe they could squeeze in 70 if they started stacking diners, LOL - I couldn’t help wondering at the event organizer’s thinking.

Re EBay TImes 50 Best Restaurants:
I think we could all disagree on some of the choices on anybody’s list, LOL. We wouldn’t personally return to either Commis/Oakland nor Juanita & Maude/Berkeley, but both obviously have their fans since they’re busy all the time.

Brenda’s Oakland, on the corner of 41st and Broadway, is finally opening this coming Monday, October 7.

1 Like

more on Brenda’s -

http://www.diablomag.com/D-blog/Diablo-Dish/October-2019/Diablo-Dish-Brendas-Opening-in-Oakland/

I’m really, really looking forward to this, as I have to be in the neighborhood once a week for most of the year. Too bad they’re not serving dinner yet, but hopefully soon. I basically want everything on that menu.

https://sf.eater.com/2019/10/9/20906563/specialty-foods-bay-area-oldest-african-caribbean-market-is-closing-40-years

Sad to hear Specialty Foods is closing down. I stopped by today and got some supplies, including palm oil, which has been on my list for a while.

Chron reported on Oct 10th she plans to remain open at least one more week - plus, some potential buyers have stepped up saying they want to continue the business. Hopefully something will come out of the discussions.

A post was split to a new topic: [Oakland] Brenda’s Oakland

Best Of WinnerMenu

Cosecha Mexican Cafe

Day of the Dead Celebration

Fri., Nov. 1, 5-9:30 p.m.

• 907 Washington St.
1 Like

As I noted above, because of the location of the cash register there’s going to be a line out the door if there’s more than 2 people waiting.

Schedule is to launch the first dozen or so kiosks by Summer 2020 at 55 Harrison Street in Jack London Square in Oakland.

Here’s the complete list of tenants who have currently signed on to be a part of Oakland Assembly:

1. Reem’s - stuffed falafels and chicken shawarma
2. Juhu Snacks and Sweets
3. Juhu Chinese
4. Okkon - okkonomiyaki
5. KowBird - Matt Horn’s chicken concept
6. Mensho Tokyo Ramen
7. Belly Goat - burgers by Santa Cruz chef Anthony Kresge
8. The Bull & The Bird - charcuterie, cheese, panini (also by Kresge)
9. Oakland Winery

1 Like

Alameda Magazine: Hoyul Steven Choi Launching Restaurants in Oakland and Berkeley

Keep your eyes open for a new Kitchen Story in Rockridge and a new U :Dessert Story in Berkeley.

http://www.alamedamagazine.com/Hoyul-Steven-Choi-Launching-Restaurants-in-Oakland-and-Berkeley/

excerpt:

*Renowned restaurateur Hoyul Steven Choi has just announced this week that he will soon expand his portfolio by opening two new East Bay restaurants. *

*A second location of Choi’s contemporary Thai-inspired California-cuisine outfit Kitchen Story — whose original location is in San Francisco’s Castro District — will get a new sister in Rockridge, set to open later this month with a Korean-focused menu. *

And Choi’s U :Dessert Story — featuring Korean-, Japanese-, and Thai-influenced desserts and currently boasting two locations in San Francisco’s Castro and Marina districts — is set to expand next February with a third location in downtown Berkeley.

Now helming nine Bay Area restaurants, Choi ignited worldwide buzz after popularizing thick-cut, sweet-savory Millionaire’s Bacon® at several of his restaurants

Will be interesting to see how it does in Rockridge. Pican/Oakland used to serve what they called “Sexy Bacon” - caramelized and sprinkled with cayenne. Spouse loved it, but when the # of slices dropped and the price kept rising, I told him we might as well make it at home from now on.

There’s lots of recipes for it. It’s very easy, too. The problem is portion control, LOL. If I make a pound of it - we will EAT a pound of it! But it does keep in the fridge and reheats easily in the MW.

The best bacon to use is that Black Pig brand bacon from Sonoma County. It retails at a couple of places, including Journeyman Meats/Healdsburg. Really terrific flavor.

1 Like

Excerpt:

On a wintry evening, I returned for the gumbo in a bread bowl after being lured in by a photo on Instagram. The gumbo looked just like a traditional gumbo, down to the orangey-striped shrimp and the slices of sausage. But when I took my first bite, I was surprised to find a deeply flavorful, spicy, umami-laden gumbo that surpassed many of the meat versions I’ve had in the Bay Area. The key, Gordon said, is actually seaweed, which gives the gumbo a leafy-green look and a rich seafood flavor. Even the bread bowl tasted buttery and was perfectly toasted around the edges.

Vegan Mob

500 Lake Park Ave., Oakland
415-513-5120
Hours: Tue.-Sun. 11 a.m.-9 p.m.
Cash, All Major Credit Cards
SFVeganMob.com

Sample Menu
Combo plate … $20
Gumbo bread bowl … $15
Barbequito … $15
Mob tacos (2) … $10

I must have passed Tijuana Restaurant at 1308 International Blvd. at least 50 times while on the #1 bus and never stopped in because from the outside it looked like it was closed even though it’s been there for over 50 years and is open from 8 am to 9 pm.

http://ordertijuanarestaurant.com/

1 Like