Oakland news and notes 2018

The collapse of Boot and Shoe Service:

1 Like

Pal’s Takeaway will pop-up at The Kebabery (4201 Market St., Oakland) for lunch every Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Updated Jan 22, 2018, 1:32pm PST

La Boulangerie will be open Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m.- 7 p.m., Saturday from 7 a.m.- 7 p.m., and Sunday from 7 a.m.- 6 p.m. at 5500 College Ave., Oakland

1 Like

There are a few changes in the “New Chinatown” corridor. The former Rainbow Cafe at 725 International Blvd has a new awning up for Anh Hong and advertising their famous Bo 7 mon. It’s not open yet, but looks prepared for business sometime soon.
I also noticed that New King and 2nd Ave and International Blvd, one of my go-to’s for noodle soups, banh mi, and roasted duck closed, but there is a sign for “Tasty Pho coming soon”.
And they’ve been open for over a year, I think, but Grand Golden Bay Bistro took over 400 12th St from the popular discount dim sum purveyor Happy Valley. I haven’t been since the change, but have noted the yelp reviews have many more complaints (mostly about service) and yet the place has been much more busy than under its previous ownership, which could be a good sign. It’s always been a decent, good for the price, especially if you don’t mind a bit too much MSG sit down but inexpensive dim sum place.

1 Like

They are open all day. The food looks pretty interesting…

2 Likes

La Perla took over from Borinquen Soul who moved to 5th St.

small menu

had Pollo Encebollado with rice/beans, fried plantain.
everything tasted mild or bland. best item was the dipping sauce which had a spicy kick.
some items made to order. some (sides, chicken) premade.
pricey for 13.99.

2 Likes

Copper Spoon
open daily for lunch, dinner and late-night drinks and bites
4031 Broadway, between 40th and 41st Streets
Oakland
Phone: (510) 879-7061

Nyum Bai’s first day is next Saturday.

Luke Tsai says that the Delage people are taking over the old Yume space in Alameda. Sushi/ kaiseki he said. A pretty tiny space I must say. But I guess if it works for places Oza Oza it can work at that space.

The Mercury News/East Bay Times have photos from the opening of Nyum Bai on Saturday, February 17 but it looks like the text of their story is behind a paywall. There a few short reviews up on the ‘Y’ site.

1 Like

Eater reported that Reem Assil is partnering with Patterson to open up a Palestinian restaurant called Dyafa in the Haven space in JLS in April. Food is said to centered around the hearth. Hopefully they will expand the menu and ‘diversify’ beyond baked goods/ flatbreads, etc.

1 Like