O Mandarin in Hartsdale NY

Though we had one very good meal and one very unsatisfactory meal with ice-cold wontons and xiao long bao with raw pork (the chef told our waiter the pink bubblegum color of the pork was from “spices”), we went back. The scallion bubble pancakes, Dan Dan noodles, and brisket clay pot were all delicious.

Has anyone been here lately? I just read reviews on Yelp and they are decidedly mixed. And some guy warned against eating there on Monday because apparently the normal chef doesn’t work then. And I was thinking of having lunch there this Monday since I am going to be in the area that day.

I have been twice for lunch. On a Wednesday and Friday a week apart. Like the yelp reviews it has been very inconsistent. The Wednesday meal was very good. Th Friday one was not.

One day a really fantastic meal of a cold app Sichuan Peppercorn Beef Shank and Tendon. One of the best renditions I have had. Spicy, but not insane, and with complex and nuanced flavors. And Twice Cooked Pork, with Hot and Sour soup. The soup was very different than I have had before and it went very well with the cold app. The Twice Cooked Pork was the best I have had with some of it cooked crisp like bacon, and some just cooked to a luscious tender consistency. I think that was done on purpose.

Another time I had the hot app of Sichuan Wontons and they were bland and had a weird texture like they had been emulsified like shrimp paste balls, and were room temperature. The entree of Wild Peppercorn Shrimp was in a similar sauce to the Twice Cooked Pork, but milder. A very boring dish that was also almost at room temp. and the sauce didn’t really work. The egg drop soup was good, hot, and with a very nice chicken stock flavor blended with the egg. But it was just egg drop soup and it ended up being a very disappointing and boring meal.

I spoke to the waitress and told her both dishes were barely warm, and she just looked at me in a bewildered fashion. I asked her to speak to the chef, but she just backed away as if I was talking crazy.

If I run into the owner I will definitely talk about it.

Don’t you just love that? Happened to us at Dish. We complained and they look at you like you’re crazy.

1 Like