NYC Restaurants for low-salt diet

I will. And yes, I do live in the East Village, so close to Chinatown.

Yesterday was my birthday. I had planned to cook some goulash to go along with some red cabbage with apples and caraway seeds that I made a few days ago and still have a lot of, but I never got around to doing the requisite shopping and making it (I may make it today), so I called Supper, and the woman I spoke with said it would be no problem for them to make a saltless fish for me.

My meal there was really better than I expected they’d be able to do for a low-salt meal. My girlfriend and I shared the fennel and arugula salad, and they put the thin strips of montasio cheese on a separate plate for my girlfriend. We then shared a portion of linguine olio ed aglio, for which they really nicely browned the sliced garlic and also included some parsley and hot pepper flakes. I added a small amount of grated parmigiano, much less than I would have had to taste, and it’s definitely not as good without a pretty nice helping of grated cheese, but that’s the way I have to eat. For a secondo, we got salmon, which was nicely seared and came with more arugula. I don’t know if it normally comes in two pieces, but that’s what they did for us, which was of course welcome. It was supposed to be accompanied by lentils, but since the lentils were prepped earlier, they would have had salt, and therefore they left those out. We each had a glass of pleasant barbaresco wine with the meal.

I tipped over $3 more than 20% because I was very happy with the service and especially with how they worked with us to provide a good meal without added salt and cheese beyond whatever salt had been in the pasta water, so the total including tax and tip was $90.

For people considering going to Supper for a low-salt meal, I should point out that their specials change every day, so it’s possible that some days may be harder than others. Also, their online “Dinner” menus at http://supperrestaurant.com/ leave out an entire little 2-sided menu with wines and cocktails on one side and food on the other, which you have to click on “Menus/Specials” to see.

By the way, I also went back to New York Noodletown last week and asked about ordering Chicken with Pea Shots without any salt or soy sauce. The waiter came back from the kitchen and asked whether they could use a little soy sauce, and I held my fingers close together and said “Yes, this much is OK”. At first, the dish seemed a little tasteless to me, but after several bites, my taste readjusted, and while it definitely is better with the regular amount of soy sauce, it was not bad. They also use black mushrooms in it. It’s a big portion, so I ended up taking about half of it home and ate it later, throwing away the sauce that had pooled at the bottom because that was where most of the soy sauce was.