NYC / Brighton Beach & Coney Island — request for recs

You have some strange addictions

Thinking skovorodka must be some sort of portmanteau ending in vodka? Google seems to come up with frying pan for skover which is a little weird, did your friends mention the meaning? And what did u eat?

Although I haven’t eaten at Nargis lately, I have looked in. The upstairs room, which Steve and I both remember from a prior restaurant at this address, is very charming. But day in and day out, and especially for small parties, they might seat everyone in the cafe-like downstairs space. You’d want to inquire in advance.

1 Like

We’re going to be bb for lunch !

You had me at smelt

<guessing this the first time in the history of the world anyone has wordsmithed that sentence :joy:>

Yeah, but their website says 7:30pm. Who’re you gonna believe? (my money’s on google actually).

I had fried potatoes and mushrooms, and “green borscht,” which I would call schav, myself. And from my friend: My father highly recommended the pierogi - they’ll be called “vareniki” on the menu. Confusingly, the menu also has a “pierogi” entry and that’s small fried hand pies.

3 Likes

Yelp also says 10, and I dunno what website you refer to - I can’t find one.

1 Like

My Ukrainian bud would tell you that’s not confusing to him :joy: (And THAT is why I let him order for me at Mari Vanna).

Btw those potatoes and mushrooms are insanely delicious.

1 Like

Omg you reminded me I have one of those in my pocket!

1 Like

https://skovorodka.dine.online/locations/926079?fulfillment=pickup
Just repeating your link; go to “location details”, hit it 2 or 3 times & a box pops up with hours. Maybe that’s just the hours for pick-up or delivery?

I wasn’t the confused one, my Soviet (I should just start referring to her as Ukrainian at this point) friend was!

I’m guessing that on this menu vareniki are boiled and pierogi are fried. In my experience, pierogi (Polish) come in both boiled and fried and are always vegetarian, whereas vareniki (Russian) are always boiled and always meat-filled.

2 Likes

That seems like a good guess. The place does not look like it rolls up the welcome mat early. I mean, look at this guy!

2 Likes

There are 3 varieties at Mari Vanna — tiny boiled ones in butter or in broth (pelmeni), larger potato-stuffed ones that are boiled and then sautéed with onions (vareniki), and bigger ones that are baked (pirozhki). If I’m remembering correctly. The tiny ones are my favorite.

1 Like

That is indeed the meaning.

It’s not a portmanteau (now I’ve got two people parsing this). It’s the diminutive of skovoroda, etymology here. Are you sorry you asked, yet?

And! I’ve been advised to advise you to take your wife to “Tatiana Grill (not the fancier and stodgier Tatiana next door) or the Potato House (it’s a bit out of the way though).”

1 Like

Oceanview has been around. And up until a few years ago, both walls were covered by Nicolas Cage pics. The restaurant was featured in Lord of War

Another fun fact (prob fun just for me). On one of my many lunches with tourists at Kashkar, Fiona Shaw and a friend sat at the table next to us

Vareniki is the Russian and Ukrainian word for what we call Pierogies.

“Pirazhok” is a large fried dumpling filled with either meat, potato, cabbage, cherries. So plural would be something like Pirozhki, or maybe pierogies

1 Like

And baked, usually, yes? Not boiled or fried, like pierogi. I suspect there’s no one “right” answer. The menus I’ve now spent too much time looking at often list two terms for the same item.

Tone has it as well. Thats where I had it first. At Berikoni its a large $8 snack. If you enjoy a good Khachapuri and hard boiled eggs, you’d like this

1 Like