NY State & CT gastronomy & regional specialties

No it’s way thicker. Have you ever had lobster pot pie? Same difference, lots more filling than gravy.

1 Like

And of course there’s indigenous Connecticut Lobster roll, not cold lobster, mayo and celery that you find in the rest of the country, but warm lobster, anointed with butter, and sometimes garnished with herbs, all encased in a top cut New Emgland roll. My go to place is in Knapps Landing in Stratford or Captain Scotts in New London. Also love Luke Veneer’s version at the Elm in New Canaan, served with a bit of a cheat: a slice of bacon.

3 Likes

I thought of another New England specialty - frozen pudding. Tastes like rum cake studded with candied fruits. Shady Glen in Manchester, CT comes out with a fantastic frozen pudding ice cream during the holidays. Rum soaked fruity creaminess! Kind of like rum raisin - only better! I wish the local homemade ice cream places in Westchester would carry this. It’s so good!

More info:

1 Like

Had an excellent cup of frozen pudding ice cream yesterday at Erickson’s in Carver, MA. I can’t seem to stay away from this flavor! Next time, I might get a frozen pudding frappe if I get another NE roadside ice cream stop in before my family trip ends. Not a milkshake, a frappe! :wink: cue Barry Manilow’s “Weekend in New England”

1 Like

My guys & I went hiking at Minnewaska State Park yesterday and stopped at a fantastic place for pierogies afterward. Turns out, Kerhonkson, NY & surrounding towns have a great Polish & Ukrainian population. Anna was a doll and the pierogies selection was wonderful and melted in your mouth. Yesterdays offerings were: cheddar, farmer’s cheese, buffalo chicken, jalapeño, cheddar & bacon, onion, and garlic. So hard to choose but we bought a bag of jalapeño & onion. We also sampled some delicious kielbasa.
You can order ahead and get them to go. They get tons of business before the holidays - and for good reason. I’m not Polish, but I remember my good friend’s Babcia’s yummy pierogies & these are even better!!
If you’re in the area:
Helena’s Specialty Pierogies
5754-A Route 209
Kerhonkson, NY 12446

6 Likes

Love that place! I spend a lot of the summer upstate on the weekends, and that is one of our spots! During the rest of the year I get the homemade potato and cheese ones from Yonkers Miasarnia. They have the best homemade mustard too and you have to get the kielbasi to go with it! For Christmas I ask them to special make me potato and farmers cheese, like my Babcia used to make:
http://yonkersmiasarnia.com/

3 Likes

Yonkers Miasarnia, I totally forgot about that place. I haven’t been there since the '80’s! I dated a gorgeous Polish girl who lived up the road and dragged me in there once, and after that I was a regular for around five years until I moved out of state. Just moved back to the general area. Have to get there soon. Thanks for mentioning it.

Just got back from Yonkers Miasarnia with a selection of their house made and smoked sausage/kielbasa, etc. Some nice headcheese, their homemade hot mustard, plus potato/cheese, and sauerkraut/mushroom pirogi. The best prize was a big, fat, freshly smoked ham shank. I’m making a pot of sauerkraut with onions, tomato, juniper berries, caraway seed, and a splash of apple cider vinegar and brown sugar. I sliced the assorted sausage and browned them and will add to the sauerkraut, with some small yellow potatoes for the last 30 minutes of cooking. Looks like Autumn is here. (I realized they forgot to put the mustard in the bag… bummer, but the smoked sausages are fantastic.)

1 Like

Bummer about the mustard, but glad you some other goodies!

A friend was in Rochester and did a guest post for me on Nick Tahou’s. Since I’ve never been to the place, I’d like to hear what people who’ve had it think . The post is up at John tanners bbq blog – at the top at present. If you get to it later, just search Tahou

I’m guessing that there are variations – are any really significant, like dropping the pasta salad?

Thanks

I lived in downtown Rochester for 7 years (college/masters) and Tahou’s garbage plate was a definite frat boy favorite. I didn’t understand the appeal then and still don’t, but then again I’m not the biggest fan of macaroni salad or baked beans under any circumstances. I will say their hots are pretty good, and if I were going to do a GP, that would be my meat of choice rather than burgers.

Anyway, you can drop any of the sides for variation but if you do, it’s not really a GP anymore, in my view. Mixing that mess together is sort of the whole point.

1 Like

I suspected as much