NY/CT/LI Restaurant News, Openings and Closings - SPRING AND SUMMER EDITION

Yep, they are pretty good. We actually had them cater a party last summer and they did an excellent job.

1 Like

Massa’ Coastal Italian Cuisine has closed after 3 years in Mamaroneck. The father and son team of Pasquale and Francesco Coli had previously operated La Villetta in Larchmont and Massa’ Italian Kitchen in Scarsdale, both also closed…

Among the current proliferation of Peruvian restaurants is Delicias del Jireh on Mamaroneck Ave near Maple. It’s little, only a few tables, but also seems to do a significant take out business. We have now eaten in once, had take out once, both at lunch. Both times involved the rotisserie chicken, which was decent. They’re not expensive under any circumstances, but the lunch deal can really be a bargain, e.g., quarter chicken with 2 sides and a drink for $8.50.

3 Likes

I emailed the address on pub street’s website and no response yet! Keep forgetting to go by there.

I didn’t even find a website! I can post on VS Facebook page and see if they respond.

Sorry, I didn’t specify it’s in White Plains.

Yes, the food is very good and reasonably priced. I had them deliver a few weeks ago. Here is the menu. You need to zoom in the read the details. Note their Facebook page is listed on the menu. Their website is “coming soon”.

1 Like

Run, don’t walk, to Spice Diner on Bethpage Rd in Hicksville, behind Apna Market for ridiculously cheap and delicious food (Gastronomous, lunch buffet opens next week ;-)) Everything here is highly seasoned and if you like heat, he’s also willing to deliver some extra spiciness.

Saw Erica Marcus post about the opening after alerting her to the signage months ago. The Hara Bhara chicken, house specialty is just wonderful. Ground meat kabobs, highly seasoned are between $1.95 and $3.95, We had three of those, the chicken dish I mentioned, another chicken dish and a vegetable dish and with tax, the tab was $37. Owner used to own another Hicksville restaurant, Punjabi or close to that, for 20 years. It’s soft open, was a little slow, but worth the wait and more than worth the modest prices.

Picture of the hara bhara with it’s hot cilantro chutney yogurt marinade/sauce: http://www.newsday.com/lifestyle/restaurants/feed-me/indian-restaurant-spice-diner-opens-in-hicksville-1.13626143

4 Likes

Opening : B&B Wings - Main St Middletown Ct. Offering wings, sandwiches and supposedly breakfast. This place may be a cut above the typical wing joint as they’re offering ‘dirt style,’ that is, fried/sauced twice as in J.Timothy’s. They’re still building out.

Closed: Cherryberry - Main St Middletown Ct. No great loss. One benefit of the bouncing froyo trend is that the other froyo joint saw the writing on the wall, and now offers Ashley’s ice cream as well.

Opening: Grown Cafe (within the new RJ Julia book store) - Main St Middletown. No real intel yet, probably similar to other location. All the right buzzwords and menuspeak. Not operational yet

EDIT - Opening: Fujiya Ramen to open in the former cherryberry

Nice addition to Northwest Yonkers to report - Yara’s Middle Eastern on Palisade Ave. Just opened in May. We ordered from there tonight and everything was fantastic. Maybe the best kibbie I’ve ever had, excellent hummus, muhammara and baba ganoush, a lovely cheese and spinach pie, and a decent gyro for my husband (who would get the shawarma next time instead!). The prices are a little high ($4 per kibbie) but really worth it - the quality is very high. From what I understand it’s a family-run business - I hope they do very well!

1 Like

Closed; Jake’s Wayback Burgers in Yorktown Heights, NY.

They said they would re-locate after losing their original space and apparently they are. Pax Romana in White Plains has a new paper sign up a few stores up from their original spot on E. Post Road, closer to Mamaroneck Ave. It is a work in progress…

The Birch Collective, a new gastropub, is in the works on Mamaroneck Ave., White Plains…short on details right now.

Wow, a Jakes closes. Wasn’t opened long

Almost five years, based on articles I recently found. It’s not in the best of locations in terms of street viability (in fact, it’s terrible), but it was in the same corner of the shopping center as a Salsa Fresca (Chipotle clone since they haven’t chosen to open in the Northern Westchester area) and Jewel of Himalaya and they seem to do well.

There was a frozen yogurt place next door which opened around the same time as other froyo places in town, also several years ago. It closed a few years ago which surprised me since I figured that being next door to Jake’s and near Salsa Fresca would guarantee them business. But that didn’t work out, either.

Applebee’s in Mt. Kisco. I am not a fan, but I am surprised.

5 Napkin Burger has closed at Ridge Hill in Yonkers. It has been replaced by a Mexican restaurant. More details to follow…

Route 100 Wine Bar & Grill on Central Park Ave., Yonkers has closed after an 8 year run…looks like work is going on for a replacement.

Rich reported this back in March.