Notable sandwiches in the Boston area

Didn’t post anything at the time. It was one of those throw-away meals I didn’t think warranted a review. Perhaps I should have. I tend to post only positive reviews since I know that the restaurant biz is tough.

3 Likes

That’s understandable. Thanks.

That looks destination-worthy. Thanks

Same here. One good dinner at Hourly, not enough data points, but surprised to hear it described as one of the worst.

1 Like

We had several nice meals at The Hourly when it first opened, followed by a very poor (poorly shucked oysters, shell in the lobster roll) meal on our last visit. It’s too bad as we could use a top notch oyster bar in the neighborhood. I was not surprised though as this seems to be the general trajectory of the Grafton Group restaurants. Many of them start strong and then settle into mediocracy. Perhaps mediocre is too strong, but their restaurants settle at a level where I’d recommend them to someone in a pinch but wouldn’t go seek to go there myself. Despite being within walking distance, I’m hard pressed to recall the last time I was in Russell House of Grafton Street. Park is perhaps a touch better than the rest, but I still never to there.

2 Likes

The deli at Cardullos has gone downhill a bit since their change in ownership.

(Excellent) sandwiches in the area are actually a bit of a hole in our dining scene. I wish something like Pisillo Italian Panini (NYC) would open here. Top notch sandwiches, excellent ingredients, made fast.

Sandwiches I think stand out include:

• Monica’s Mercato: they are known for their Italian, but all their sandwiches are outstanding
  • Coppa: their Italian on the lunch menu is fantastic
  • Sam Lagrassas: the best general deli around IMO
  • Mike’s Roast Beef in Everett
  • Lobster Roll at Belle Isle in Winthrop
  • Pho Viet: Bhan Mi
  • Cutty’s: anything
  • Chacarero
  • Bagelsaurus: Cold Smoked (salmon), or traditional breakfast sandwich
  • Hi-Rise: The Dapper Dutchman (smoked salmon)

Even though their hours of operation were variable and frustrating, Wan’s (Al’s) deli had great sandwiches before they closed. As I have posted, I really don’t get the love for the sandwich at Our Fathers. Perhaps it is better than the other options in the area. However it is inconsistent (often dry) and I don’t like the way they cut the meat. It’s a poor approximation of a good NY style pastrami.

I eat far less cold cut sandwiches than in the past because most cold cuts are garbage. I am looking forward to MF Dulock reopening with an expended charcuterie focus (and perhaps even sandwiches).

1 Like

Fantastic list, thanks @uni! It kills me that I work in the 'burbs and can almost never get to Sam Lagrassa’s. Good to know about Monica’s though, will hit that next time I am in town on a Saturday.

1 Like

Monica’s can get busy, but you can call ahead to order.

1 Like

During our last visit to Boston, last October, we had lunch once at Sam Lagrassa’s. To our mind it is highly overrated, assembly-line production and not the best quality. We did not enjoy it. Katz’s in New York, on the other hand, is quite enjoyable.

Katz’s and Sam Lagrassa’s aren’t really comparable on just about every level

1 Like

No disagreement. But both serve sandwiches. I do not even remember what we ate at Lagrassa’s, but my wife and I both took something different. Neither of us was happy with what we got. Not devastatingly unhappy. Just not happy.

It’s a little hard on a place, anywhere, to compare it to Katz’s.

(Having said that, so accustomed to good food have the food-aware become these days that there are complaints from some New Yorkers even about Katz’s – it’s too industrial, too mass-produced, too touristy, some say. Talk about a first of the first of a first-world problem.)

1 Like

As much as I like Katz[s, I wouldn’t want to eat there more than once every 3-4 years. If you have a really good sandwich place, you’d like to eat there once a week.

Why Katz’s only once every few years?

Edited to add: You’d said above that “Katz’s is quite enjoyable” and that Sam Lagrassa’s is “highly overrated, assembly-line production and not the best quality.” I’m a bit confused. Is there a sandwich place you’d wholeheartedly recommend?

Abe and Louie’s has a very decent lobster BLT

2 Likes

I’ll add to this list:

• Domenic’s (Waltham): many of their sandwiches are great, they are particularly known for their eggplant parmesan.
  • Cheesesteak variants at Carl’s Steak Subs (also in Waltham) is maybe not quite the same level of destination to me, but worth a visit.
  • Kefi’s Kitchen (Watertown Square): Tunisian Tuna ( Marinated albacore tuna, sliced tomato, cucumber, olive tapenade, pickled turnip and Harissa sauce.)
3 Likes

I like the turkey club as well at A&L.

Reading this thread I was going to give my burb (Waltham) a little credit and mention Domenic’s too. I always enjoy their sandwiches and their bread is great.

I’ll also say the “Smokestack” from Russo’s is a great sandwich too - (I don’t remember what all is in it, smoked turkey, smoked ham if I remember correctly . . . )

1 Like

Sam Lagrassa’s is a place that I had been looking forward to trying, having read lots of good things about it. Neither my wife–the sandwich lover in the family–nor I were particularly pleased with our sandwiches. Neither of us feel any need to go back.

Katz’s is very touristy, noisy, crowded. And we always have the same thing. This, of course, is not Katz’s fault, as they have a large and varied menu.

There are two places that I can recommend, both in NYC. The first is Gaia Italian Cafe on East Houston, good Italian sandwiches. But my all-time favorite is Cheeky Sandwiches on Orchard Street. We’ve had most everything on the menu, and it’s all good. But my favorite is tne fried oyster po’boy. I must have 5 or 6 of those whenever I visit Manhattan.

Looking forward to trying Fresco’s in Malden on our upcoming trip to the Boston area.

2 Likes

MF Dulock is closed and plans to reopen elsewhere? I just checked the web site and they are closed for their annual summer break until July 10 or so…do you have any more info? I love the place. Don’t buy meat but a few times a year, but when I do, it’s from them. Great people, great service, great meat. Not cheap, but they have ethical and local and quality standards.