Northern Italy bucket list quick hits

Thanks! The person probably manually entered these restaurants in google maps. Unfortunately I can’t save the list it seems. It’s from an old (2008) slow food osterie book. They come out most any year. One thing you can do is buy the Italian version from amazon.it. Even if you don’t understand any Italian, you will see all restaurant names and addresses listed… :slight_smile:

You can also get it as an app on your phone. Definitely do not need to buy every year. I recently got the 2022 version, and guessing I won’t get a newer version for at least five years. It is also only in Italian, but newish feature on my phone allows me to convert for translation from screenshot. I like the feature! But I’m with Curmudgeon, I don’t think I’ve ever had a really bad meal from a Slow Food recommended restaurant, and some have been among the best meals I have had in Italy, for sure.

3 Likes

Near Malpensa, one last meal. A very long time ago we were leaving Italy from Malpensa and we had to return a car in the morning before our flight, so we naturally looked for a restaurant where we wanted to eat the night before our flight and when we found one we looked for a hotel nearby. I did not find a Slow Food restaurant, but I found a recent Slow food meeting that had recently taken place at a restaurant close to Malpensa in Gallerate. The nearby hotel turned out to be a standard American style two story motel that could have been dropped down in Fresno and would not have looked out of place. This was at least 20 to 25 years ago and the meal was way better than anything in or near the airport. It had a private back room where after we arrived and ordered a bunch of very big men in dark suits arrived and filled and the solid sliding doors (not clear) were closed. Honestly eating at this restaurant is a gamble. I have no idea if the owners or chef are the same but if you are willing to take a chance for a meal try this:

Had to try it: We do not have a car so we rarely go out anymore unless we have a ride. We did today and went to Ai due platani in the Parma countryside because of several recommendations here. Now not I am very critical and I spend five or six months a year in Emilia Romagna. I am at the end of my Spring 3 month visit and I I am sick of prosciutto di fuckin Parma.
The meal started with an unordered cold fresh pea soup with a runny deep fried egg yolk. I felt it was the best thing we had there. I had cherry tortelli which were very good but very heavy. only by passing on four or five to others was I able to have a secondo. My secondo was beef tongue which was good but somewhat undercooked to my taste. To be honest I like the Mexican Lengua with green sauce from Plaza Garibaldi in Indio, California better. I know it’s time for me to go back to California.

3 Likes

yes sounds like its time for home! Italian regional cooking can certainly be very particular!

I can relate! I do not want to be presumptuous, Curmudgeon, but i went on a 6 month round the world trip starting in October of 2022 and within 3 months i was ready to head home but kept going. I raced through Greece and Italy in less than a month and spent less than 4 days each in Spain and Portugal. I was just ready to go home and i am glad i did so.
Turns out i was in afib for a part of the trip and did not know it. Getting health care now, so it did end well.

4 Likes

In 2019 we had an absolute “chorus singing from the heavens” type meal at Amerigo in Savigno. It’s in the middle of nowhere between Bologna and Modena (so that counts as north right?). My exact order was “tutta la pasta del menu.” There were 11 pasta dishes all told and I think I tried to eat the plate after licking it clean with all of them. Small, family run. Wonderful.

Osteria Broccaindosso in Bologna on Via Broccaindosso. Again, the pasta, pasta and pasta. Perhaps the best example of torts in brodo I found in Bologna. Its not “fancy” but it’s better than every “fancy” place in Bologna by far. Well worth dealing with the beautiful chaos of trying to book a table. (Hint, call and be patient.)

Osteria della Brughiera, Bergamo. Connected with America’s best italian restaurant (I’ll fight you on it) Vetri in Philly. It’s great.

In Croatia, skip Hisa Franko. Konoba Dolina instead. Hand harvested truffles on hand rolled pasta. It’s all one needs in life. The family that runs Dolina has been doing the same dishes forever and that’s a compliment. No need to change what is great. Sit on the veranda and be overwhelmed by the smell of truffles being stirred into hot pasta.

2 Likes