Nj throwback thread, what places would you bring back?

I would bring back The Orange Squirrel

3 Likes

That was a great spot!

1 Like

Don’s

2 Likes
1 Like

Unless I am completely misremembering, there was a Pizza Hut with a liquor license in New Brunswick circa 1989

Perhaps, I’m going back to late 70’s early 80’s with my memory. I was barely a teenager but being asked to take the trip with my older cousins was a badge of honor!

1 Like

Kind of a recent loss but I would kill to get back unlimited salad bar and thick as you like steak.

6 Likes

Yup what a loss to the area! (Bread bar!?!?? What???)
There was an uproar on these boards between several of us and the next ownership. (whom shall remain nameless)

7 Likes

Poor @corvette_johnny is still in hiding

3 Likes

She doesn’t smoke.

1 Like

From the Grunnings on the Hill, looking out over the NY skyline! I’d always get the $5 Sundae for just $1.00, served in a beer mug.

BTW–I was just in South Orange Village last week, visiting family. I was SO distressed to see that they had torn down the Grunnings building, with it’s iconic windows. It’s final iteration was a great Italian restaurant that lived up to the quality standards that made Grunnings so great.

1 Like

Did you go to The Stuft Shirt?

Two family members from Spirito’s fame (Elizabeth) are in CA trying to establish a new legacy and it’s nothing even close to attainable. But this photo is on the wall.

3 Likes

Mastori’s.

Casey Jones in Long Branch. I frequently ate there alone. They had some cozy corner tables which were perfect for a single diner. My favorite entree was Stuffed Flounder.

2 Likes

My wife’s family, Long Branch natives, loved Casey Jones. I got there a few times in the late 80s.

That espresso bar and Italian grocery on Ringwood Avenue in Haskell. I last went there in 1985. Now the whole area has been demolished and rebuilt.

More recently, the Hong Kong Supermarket food court on Oak Tree Road in Plainfield (I think). I especially remember the Taiwan noodle stall run by a woman named Lucy. I’m pretty sure my last bowl of noodles there was in 2007.

2 Likes

@byarvin Good to see you posting, Brian! #BlastFromThePast

1 Like

As a kid, I loved to be able to eat in a train car. As an adult, I would kill to have that nostalgic moment one more time.

Very cozy indeed. Dim “lantern” lights in the dining car, beer “by the yard”, and a large seafood menu. Trying to get in on a Friday during lent was hellacious. I remember a lounge car with ash trays on the tables for when that was still a thing.

Mom used to get the Boston Scrod.

Thank you Curlz! Since I live in Pennsylvania now, everything I’ve got to say about NJ will be a blast from the past.

1 Like